SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pacman nebula

jaspalchadha

The large dark nebula (NGC 281A that makes up this "gaping mouth" is a molecular cloud made up predominantly of molecular hydrogen, but also dust and other gases. New generations of solar systems are being forged within its cold interior. Once these young stars' fusion engines switch on they will irradiate their surroundings - heating up, ionizing and eroding away the remaining dark material from which they formed.

Originally the whole Pac-Man nebula would have been one large dark molecular cloud - the stars that formed early on at its centre having progressively hollowed out the centre of the nebula. The gas in and around this central region is ionized by the copious UV radiation emitted by the central open star cluster (IC 1490), causing it to glow and providing the light by which this narrowband image was taken.

Location Image: London UK

Date: Various dates throughout Sept and October 2015

Telescope: Skywatcher Espirt 100ED

CCD: QHY9S MONO CCD

Filters: Chroma 3nm Ha, Chroma 3nm SII and Chroma 3nm OIII ( Taken during High moon transit )

Ha 1200s x 18

SII 1200s x 10

OIII 1200s x 10

Mount Ioprton CEM60

High res http://www.astrobin.com/full/221523/0/923a4b13ea779efa3e5879dad4431709.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice image, nice to see it with some stars around it, also interesting to see an image taken with the Chroma filters.

Dave

I do enjoy working with the chroma filters, With a life time guarantee I feel little assured

It's always good to try something new. As I already owned a set of 1.25 i had to buy a new set of 36mm for my qhy9s. I guess it was Bernard's sweet talk from modern astronomy and that feeling for being the first to own a set of 3nm in the uk.

Archived