Narrowband

She's Arrived and I'm In Love Again... Revelation 12

The only scope I've sold and regretted afterwards

Why do we do it?

I downgraded to a 10" Dob for portability and although the views were still good, I couldn't help thinking the 12" did it just that little bit better, brighter and with more detail

So she's back after a long pre order and I'm happy again.

Modded, of course. Bob's Knobs for the secondary (which is a new design to the old one I had) and stiffer springs at the rear when adjusting the primary. Rubber feet for when I stand it upright (holes now pre drilled for your convenience)

Flocking.. Mmmm. May not bother this time. I didn't see that much of a difference first time round. A good dewshield may be just as effective.. and cheaper

In all honesty, I'm realising now its NOT that much more difficult to move around on my own.

Ordered from Telescope House (who were excellent) it arrived the second day after paying for it.

Great value scope and highly recommended

Clear night tonight. Can't wait to get behind the eyepiece :)

post-580-0-84366400-1445533573_thumb.jpg

Lovely looking scope i have had my eye on the same one and see there back in stock.and for the money looks a bargain dual speed crayord fan and its closed tube so saving money on a truss dob light shield and also a bearing base instead of teflon pads.i bet there out of stock when i want one after christmas :(

congrats on getting an old friend back :)

Can you reach the focuser at all elevations from a seated position, maybe sat on one of the garden chairs as a guide.

The scope in shot looks mighty tall.

Hi Charic.

I'm 5ft 9in and found the 10" ok for most elevations apart from the zenith where I had to stand up.

Unfortunately I had to hunch slightly which was not comfortable for me after a while. Started to get aches in my lower back after a while

The 12" again is fine for most elevations seated but to view the zenith I need to stand once again.

The difference is it's the perfect height for viewing as my eye is directly in front of the eyepiece and so it's far more comfortable.

.........thanks for that. I'm comfortable/ish at all angles, from a seated position with my 8". I'm trying to find reason to own the 12" classic, but failing so far?

Looks like I'll be holding onto the venerable 8" for a while longer?

Thanks everyone for the nice words :smiley:

Had the scope out last night  but only stayed out for a few minutes as it was windy and boy it was chilly wind!

The moon was also out. I was gonna start with a quick peek but didnt have my moon filter to hand.

Basically just did a star test on Vega to check my collimation (which was fine) and M57 which could be clearly seen using my Paragon 40

Amazed by the colours of the stars I'm getting with this scope. Beautiful oranges and blues (Alberio in Cygnus)

Looking forward to a decent testing once the moon disappears

..........you can wear Sunglasses for the Moon, or as I do, replace the Dust cap on the OTA, removing  the smaller 2" cap?

Yes, there are side effects to this method, but allows me to see the Moon, with less glare, and even though its still very bright, you cant go blind from looking at the Moon,  although you may trip over everything on your way back to the house if you can find it, until your eyes adapt to normality again?

The early views sound promising - just wait until you view M42 and a bright globular cluster with it !

I don't use a moon filter with my 12" dobsonian. Adding some magnification tones down the brightness and my eye soon adjusts. Last night I was looking at the moon early in the session and ended up picking out a couple of magnitude 14 moons around Uranus later on so your eyes do adjust quickly :smiley:

Seems a shame to turn a 12" aperture scope into a 2" having spent all that money :wink:

Archived