Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Newbie help for planetary imaging

Unklefunk

Please forgive me if this seems a stupid question.   I am currently using a nexstar 4se...and have just acquired the loan of a canon eos 1100d..ive took some shots of the moon which im very pleased with, but im going to have ago at some planetary imaging this weekend, mainly Venus & Jupiter. I don't have a shutter release cable (do I need one for planetary imaging?), so I am wondering what the best way to go about this is....basically what settings are best to use on the camera etc etc....oh and also it takes videos...would this be the way to go ?...total newb so be gentle lol  :)

I would agree that vid is the way to go (and a barlow if you have one) but I would say that AS!2 would be best for stacking followed by Regi for wavelet processing. At the image scale you will achieve, 3-4 min captures will not be an issue. Jups rotation can be an issue with long captures but that only comes into play with large image scales.

Last time I did any planetary, I ended up using a 2 barlows!. Really overpowered my scope, but it worked fine as the sky was perfect.  Managed to get some detail in the planet on the vid, the took a movie.  I was using a webcam rather than a DSLR, but you should be able to accomplish pretty much the same.

Again, I'd recomment taking a movie, longer the better,  I used a 10 min movie and used only the best 20% of the frames, to stack the image.