SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy Bargains.

I am not sure if there is already a thread for this but if not here you go.

Just received this excellent book from Amazon for less than £3.00 delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1849072418/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1849072418/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just received a Canon 18-55 IS lens for £19 from MPB that was advertised as otherwise absolutely mint but the auto-focus not working (I wasn't worried about this just wanted a cheap lens for taking out and doing some wide-field shots sometime with my 600D).  However, the auto-focus works perfectly fine! :)

My best bargain was a sw swa 5mm ep about £35 on eBay the 2inch fitting was too large so FLO exchanged it for me for a brand new one as it came with documentation and guarantee,I was happy to say the least.

I managed to get Uranometria 2000.0 All Sky Edition and the companion Deepsky Field Guide for about half price from Amazon recently. They were new editions too :smiley:

In both cases there was just 1 copy available at the reduced price so it was a case of getting lucky to be looking at the right time.

Books are always the best bargains. In the Realm of the Nebulae by Edwin Hubble himself, telling how he established a distance to M31, demolished the idea that the Milky Way was the Universe and gave birth to the idea of the expanding universe and the big bang - the man himself talking to you - for three quid. What in the universe could beat that?

Olly

Books are always the best bargains. In the Realm of the Nebulae by Edwin Hubble himself, telling how he established a distance to M31, demolished the idea that the Milky Way was the Universe and gave birth to the idea of the expanding universe and the big bang - the man himself talking to you - for three quid. What in the universe could beat that?

Olly

two quid ;)

Just bought a copy of Uranometria 2000 V1 for £28 off eBay. The seller says it is in pristine condition.

I had that version for a while. It's great but you will probably want Vol 2 quite quickly. It's surprising how quickly the coverage of Vol 1 "runs out"  :smiley: 

• 2 weeks later...
Davesellars, on 21 Oct 2015 - 1:06 PM, said:

Just received a Canon 18-55 IS lens for £19 from MPB that was advertised as otherwise absolutely mint but the auto-focus not working (I wasn't worried about this just wanted a cheap lens for taking out and doing some wide-field shots sometime with my 600D).  However, the auto-focus works perfectly fine! :)

Thanks for the headsup Dave, I ordered one of these too, got mine for 16 pounds (didn't come with the box). My old 18-55 IS lens had a broken MF so I wasn't bothered about the AF being faulty on the MPD unit. But it arrived today and both AF and MF work fine and it's in pristine condition too.

Have been using it all afternoon with no problems. Saved about 70 pounds on a new one :laugh: Well chuffed!

I got a copy of the Phillips book at Scarthin Books. It's excellent, by far the best book I've seen for showing you what to expect of different types of target using different types of equipment and approaches. Everything from pencil sketches to hubble pics, and each pic tells you what size scope was used.

All it lacks is advice on star hopping to the targets.

Just bagged on Friday a Saxon 705AZ3 refractor scope with alt AZ 3 mount below;

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/refractor-telescope-saxon-705az3.html

Which is the Australian version of the Skywatcher 705AZ3 telescope (except not with the red dot finder from Rothervalley Optics, but with a 5 x27 finderscope instead);

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-mercury-705-az3-telescope.html

Wanted the AZ3 stand just on its own, and the cheapest I could find it in the UK was for £93 + p&p;

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-az3-alt-az-mount.html

Managed to get the Saxon 705AZ3 mount and scope for a bargain price of just £50 from a new store that opened up last Friday which I found out about from another member on SGL, so not only did I get the exact same mount that I wanted for nearly £50 less than what I would have paid just for the AZ3 mount alone, I also got an excellent 70mm diameter, 500mm focal length f7 refractor thrown in for no extra charge too. :) :) :) :)

BTW: the new AZ3 mount is now the home for my 120mm Skywatcher Startravel OTA refractor, and sits very nicely on it too. The Saxon 70mm refractor will be used on my camera tripod when required, where I will use it mostly as a quick grab and go scope were I can be up and running in less than two minutes. :) :) :)

Archived