Hello from Derbyshire

qSkint

Had a long fascination with space and been toying with the idea of getting a telescope more recently, spending alot of time looking at the various options and also reading these forums over the last few days.

Well today on my way to work (at around 6.30am) I spotted 3 very bright objects in a line in the sky and thought some of those must be planets. As soon as I got out of my car at work I pulled out my phone, opened SkEye app and pointed it towards the bright dots. Low and behold it was Venus, Jupiter and Mars perfectly lined up in a straight line. I took a picture on my phone but you can only see 2 of the planets. That amazing sight after my heightened interest over the last couple of days/weeks has spurred me on to getting myself kitted out with a telescope.... now I just need to decide on a budget and what I want from it.

I live in Derbyshire in a small town with no light on the back garden so hopefully this will lead to some good results. This forum seems like the place to be to learn and get the most from the equipment as well as gasp at the amazing pictures people have been getting.

I'll add the pic even though it's terrible (mars circled as it's impossible to see, I may even be wrong)

post-47479-0-18283600-1445363267.jpg

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and decided to join. There's loads of friendly and helpful folks on here who will be be ale to help on many aspects of astronomy that you may have. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Welcome to SGL... I say go and get a telescope, definitely... it will give you plenty of "wow" moments but just remember that as soon as you get it, you will notice a disproportional amount of cloudy weather..... not rainy, just cloudy. The astronomers curse.

Archived