Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon DSLR Wide Angle Lens

Nike

HI, Being a newbie just getting into my Astronomy, I am also keen to take some photo`s [new to this as well] of the night sky now the nights are getting longer & darker. Current kit is Celestron C5 f/10 on a vixen porta 11 mount, recently taken some photo`s of the moon which i found pretty straight forward as it was so bright and was quite chuffed with. Just bought a Canon 700d which has a EFS 18-55 lens as standard. Being a manual mount with no tracking i  was going to use my horizon tripod with just the camera [no scope] assuming the most exposure time I will get is around 1/2-1 sec to take photo`s of any constellations etc. Wide angle lens is recommended, in most I have read Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens seems to fit the bill at a reasonable price + Canon have their winter cashback offer on till January. Before i splash out any more cash bit confused with f numbers, most mags etc recommend f/1.8 f/2 etc appreciate my camera is basic model but lowest f number i can see is f/4.5 in manual mode so not great light gathering i guess?. Am i wasting my time a bit, any hints or tips would be great.....................next step would be Vixen polarie or Baader Nano ]but what to crack the basics 1st...................thanks     post-47437-0-59194800-1445359554_thumb.j

Thanks for the tips and the link, much appreciated , think i have got my head round it, have ordered a couple prime lenses just need to practise................need some clear skies!!...................

• 2 weeks later...

The Nifty Fifty is a fine lens, but i wouldnt describe is it as widefield. In this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/204950-suitability-of-canon-50mm-f18-lens-for-astrophotography/?hl=%2Bnifty+%2Bfifty#entry2172425 i have posted an example of the difference in the fields of view between the 50mm and the standard 18mm kit lens.

I've got a 70D with the EFS 18-55 lens.  The only problem with the EFS range is that they have a piece that goes into the camera, meaning that you can't easily use a clip filter with the camera (if you get it modified).

Apart form that, you'll be fine for taking exposures up to about 30 seconds with a stationary tripod.  You'll just have to experiment to find what you find acceptable.

Lower the f number the better,

Nifty 50 is a very good lens for portraits etc but it's far from wide angle...

I researched this for months on what lens to get and ended up going with a lens called a tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens and I can assure your its a fantastic piece of kit.

I'm still class my self as a newbie but I've taken some fantastic shots with this lens.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Vacuum 

As a rule the lower the F stop the better but don't get to hung up on that if you are using a motorized drive mount (if also guided the better) as the shot can be open for as long as is needed, and you will find out how long is needed by experiment, now we are in the digital world we can take as many shots as we need time permitting and you see what works and gets the best result.

A ggod lens for general astro use would be in the region of 30mm  (sigma 30mm f1.4) which on your 70d will be about 48mm taking into account the sensor conversion which means the very good 50mm F1.2 is = to about 80mm so can be a bit narrow .

My advise is don't get to involved with whats best as over time you will build up a collection of lenses and scopes and tripods, and whats best is not necessary the same as what you used the night before.

Archived