Narrowband

Ross of London Binocular Gunsight

badhex

Hello all

This is ostensibly a mount related question, but as it's (I think) specifically a bino mount I'm talking about I thought I'd post here.

Does anyone own something similar to this beast? A Ross 10x70 Binocular Gunsight Pattern G.367:

post-8274-0-44952400-1445351271.jpg post-8274-0-01578200-1445351320.jpg post-8274-0-49920300-1445351337.jpg

I understand this was manufactured by Ross of London for the British Military (Navy I believe) for WW2. This one appears to have been cleaned up to a shiny sparkle, unlike it would have while in service.

What I'm actually interested in the mount, here, again cleaned up, and this is where I would need some help as the only photo I have is this: 

post-8274-0-88053700-1445351490.jpg

I believe that this is the same tripod base as I have on an old inherited Charles Frank 6" reflector (which would certainly fit as I know Franks bought up a tonne of surplus after the war and used in its manufacture.

Here are some old photos of my mount, apologies these are the only ones I have as the scope and mount are in storage:

post-8274-0-68797100-1445351763_thumb.jp post-8274-0-55029700-1445351781_thumb.jp post-8274-0-97950300-1445351807_thumb.jp

I think they are basically the same from the tripod part down bar a few minor differences, but hoped to confirm with someone who might own one of the above gunsights or who could provide better photos.

Thanks in advance!!

I remember these things, they are listed in an old Charles Frank catalog I have someplace. The tripod top (the L-shaped bit) seems to be a generic part and I have an old monocular 7 x 50 gunsight on a tripod with the same fitting. The tripod is more simple though. These things were indeed black but being made of gunmetal and brass do clean up nicely. Optically they are pretty good - no expense was spared in their materials/contruction :-)

ChrisH

I recognise the tripod.  I have one in its original green (can see it peeking out of yours).  It was topped by something consisting of the bottom of the L-piece a la your one, but with a 4-5"ish ring for the other half of the L.  I took that off and have my Fullerscopes Mk111 & 6" reflector on it at the mo' (or rather in bits in a garage somewhere).   Love all this old stuff.  A firm called H.W.English majored in it in the seventies.  But can't help you on the binocs front.

Cheers,  Tim

Many thanks Chris, Tim.

@Tim - As it happens it's just the tripod I'm interested in - I got the first set of photos from an antiques site when researching earlier. I had long thought it was ex-military due to massive over-engineering, the Charles Frank military surplus connection, and the green paint, but not been able to find out much more. However, I believe you've cracked it, just found this catalogue based on your advice:

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/HWEnglish/HWEnglish.pdf

Listed on Page 44 (21 in the PDF), a rather grainy b/w image looks like it could be the one - "TPD.1. Aluminium, heavy duty. 3'3" extending to 5'. Weight 12lb. The most rigid of the ex-government tripods, this will carry up to 2 cwt."

It certainly is sturdy, but a bit of a pain to put up, with the legs flapping about all over the place.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of yours? No bother if not. Also, does yours have the oversized knurled thumbscrews on the leg extensions?

Thanks again

My version has 1/2" x 3" levers instead of the knurled knobs, so it can be clamped super-tight.  The rig is in my parents' garage some way away, but if I remember I'll snap it with my iPad when I visit in a couple of weeks and post here.  That catalogue takes me back (I used to own one!).   I had the GD2 geared drive, which became the declination slow-mo' on the Fullerscopes equatorial - with a bit of lathe work; also the RS1 reflector sight, and the infra-red 'Tabby Mk1' that had a broken image convertor cell so never got it going.  I also think I got my 12" f4 aerial lens from these guys too, but can't see it now.   How they ever went out of business with my custom is difficult to fathom.     The tripod, funnily enough, I didn't source from English; my father turned up with it one day from an antiques fare - because he knew I liked that sort of thing.  This is all at least 30yrs ago;  but as you can tell, I'm not at all nostalgic about this stuff :wink: .

In the background of this shot you can see (on the window sill) the gunsight I purchased from Charles Frank when I was about 8yrs old, cost me £7 and 10 shillings IIRC :-)

I really want the big WWII German recon binoculars they had but too expensive!

psn00015_zpsae351b96.jpg

ChrisH

Chris - Gunsight looks like a bit of a beast, is it bino or mono? They made that stuff to last.

Tim - Thanks for that, but don't put yourself out.

I too understand the nostalgia surrounding these things - although I've only been doing astronomy proper (if you can call it that!) for about 5 or 6 years. I inherited an old Charles Frank as I mentioned above and was very interested in the history of the thing. My Granddad, from whom it came, could not really tell me much as he was given it by the local observatory/Astro club I tihnk in the '70s and they didn't seem to know anything either. I started to do some research on the history of it, my findings I posted here if you're interested in that kind of thing: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/205369-charles-frank-scope-and-mount/?hl=%2Bcharles+%2Bfrank#entry2204006

The main update to the above since posting is realising out that the helical 0.965" focuser has an adaptor which unscrews to reveal a RAS thread (and accepts the unusual EP I got with it) and now, thanks to you, the origins of the tripod legs :)

I also found this yesterday, mine is the Deluxe 6", with a few changes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pncq8phcrp1k92x/Charles%20Frank.pdf?dl=0

On the subject of HW English, Charles Frank and similar shops, I feel like those kind of places only really exist in our memories now, which is sad. I remember going to Anchor Army Surplus in Derbyshire as a kid 25 years ago, and being amazed at the rows of old equipment they had. Oscilloscopes, communications equipment, military vehicle engines (at least one chopper engine IIRC), optical stuff and so on. they even had a Tank for sale! Sadly I think most of the stuff they sell now is packaged new stuff.

I found this pic in the 'archives', taken during my last renovation atttempt.  Looks like I was set to do some eyepiece projection on Jupiter.  Not just the tripod visible there, but the military geared drive on the declination axis, and the 12" f4 off of a Vulcan or whatever - doubling up as counterweight.  Notice also the luxury green Hammerite finish on my MkII Fullerscopes utility mount; no expense spared then, as now :wink: .  All good geeky stuff; but if you can't geek off here, where can you....

post-41768-0-60303000-1445447393_thumb.j

Ah yes, I had a MkIII Fullerscopes mount (looked like yours actually) but with a pier stand.

I recall many years ago there was an army surplus shop near where you are - in Malvern Link - mainly because they had a huge anti-aircraft canon in a back room :-)

ChrisH

Wow Tim, pretty industrial looking! What's the thing on the bottom you said is acting as a counterweight? 

Regarding the tripod legs I've had a good compare and there are definitely a couple of slight differences things between mine and yours. Yours have more reinforced banding and longer legs plus mounting rings/loops for a leg spreader chain or similar. Mine go up as far as where the fourth band (up from the bottom) is on yours, just below the loop, and the tripod hinges and head are at that point - so definitely shorter. Mine also lacks the ring for leg spreading chain which is rather irritating, very difficult to set up on your own with the legs flapping about due to the weight of the thing. I managed to get a bit of chain to run from each of the tightening thumbscrews but it is not ideal.

Other than the above points and the thumbscrews it's identical in manufacture, so I'm assuming the same origins and manufacturer - government or military.

Obviously mine has been painted but colour underneath where it has peeled looks about the same. I wonder if I have anything written on mine like with yours? Looks like yours says something like

TRIPOD TELESCOPIC 5FT

OVERALL No2 ZA46O64

Very interesting!

Archived