Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Geoptik Bags?

After years of lugging gear around without protection (scope on back seat etc) I am finally thinking of some bags for my scopes and also one for my mount.

I spotted the Geoptik range and they appear to be just the ticket.  If anyone is using them, what I would love to know please is if these bags have any internal 'hidey pockets' for other useful things.  There don't appear to be any pictures showing the insides of these bags so I'm just curious.

For example, I looked at this for my TAL refractor:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p178_Geoptik-Quilt-Bag-for-Refractors-to-102mm-Aperture-F-11.html

And this for my EQ5 mount:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p170_Geoptik-Quilt-Bag-for-mounts-like-EQ5---GM8---GP.html

Thanks,

I have Geoptic bags for my HEQ5 and a biggish one for the SW 200 Newt.  Neither of those have internal pockets of any kind.  The bags are very hard wearing, for the mount I wish I had bought the EQ6 bag as its not that much more expensive and the HEQ5 is quite a tight fit in the HEQ5 bag because of my ADM Losmandy dovetail adapter.

I had a Geoptik bag for my Celestron Nexstar 8SE. It was specified to take just the telescope tube but I always kept the telescope and mount in it. It was padded with a circular zip at the top and an extra circular pocket as well for accessories. The padding was sufficient to protect the telescope, though I used to wrap the flexible dew shield around everything as well for extra protection. Straps went completely around the bag so that there was no problem with stitching giving way. It travelled to and from Kelling Heath for quite a few years!

I'd certainly have another one if my refractors didn't already have cases.

In fact we were so impressed by it we ordered a 10 inch version from one of the caravanning bag makers to take my husband's LX90, though he couldn't make the pocket at the top!

I have Geoptic bags for my HEQ5 and a biggish one for the SW 200 Newt.  Neither of those have internal pockets of any kind.  The bags are very hard wearing, for the mount I wish I had bought the EQ6 bag as its not that much more expensive and the HEQ5 is quite a tight fit in the HEQ5 bag because of my ADM Losmandy dovetail adapter.

Thanks AB, that's an interesting point about the fit.  What do you do with the counterweight?  I have an EQ5, and as you know, the counterweight shaft does not retract so I'd be looking to fit both the bar and weight 'somewhere'...but exactly where I'm not sure.  

Have you got the 'square shaped' mount bag for your HEQ5?   Or is it the long version whereby the tripod goes in too?  If I got the long version, I might be able to squeeze the bar and counterweight in along with the mount and tripod, but I'm not sure about this as it would be a very heavy package!

Are you aware RVO stock most Geoptik iyems

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-items.html

Thanks M.Tweedy - yes, I had spotted that RVO had branched out to incluse some Geoptik items but they didn't appear to list the longer refractor bag on their site.  But they could probably get it...

Hi Steve,

I use a koolertron speaker stand bag for carrying around my frac, padded on the bottom, tough canvas as well..  I think they are used for speaker systems and stands, but fit the starwave very well..

Worth considering a search on amazon for stand bags, especially for the price as well.. Hope that helps, even if it's not the Geoptik your considering..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=speaker+stand+bags&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aspeaker+stand+bags

They do a myriad of sizes too..

Ta

Fozzie

I have a geoptik for my Tal, fits like a glove and is sovietski red too :) have to remove the finder though and no pockets for 'stuff'

Thanks, I am interested to learn that.  An internal pocket for the finder would have been useful eh?

I have the square type HEQ5 bag for mine.  The tripod usually stays in the boot of the car and to be honest I am not worried about the tripod getting the odd ding.  Its pretty robust.

Counterweights - I lug mine around in an old canvass hold-all.  Its not perfect really.  I have often thought the best counterweight carrier would be a metal bar like the counterweight bar with a handle on top rather like a garden spade.  That way you could just drop the weights on, screw on the handle and lug away.  I thought about making one but I always have so many projects rolling its never happened.

• 3 months later...
On 24 February 2016 at 23:25, BGazing said:

which bag exactly, if you do not mind me asking?

It was the 8inch cylinder shaped one with a pocket at the top. It's listed on Teleskop-express as a Geoptik 8 inch quilt bag for Celestron and Meade. I use to put it in the passenger seat with a seatbelt on for travel! I bought it very reduced from Altair Astro quite a few years ago. Sold with my Nexstar when I bought an imaging mount for travelling.

Archived