Narrowband

Bags and Cases for Large Scopes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K6I2W34?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Hi Folks,

I have seen a few posts in more than i forum by people like my self who have bought larger scopes ask regarding bags for carrying the around their new scopes in. I myself have found that a typical bag for a 200mm telescope costs around the region of £65. Yesterday I did decide my SW200pds needed a bag after a month of carting it around in its big cardboard box. I would definately say a 200mm scope is the edge of the portable range for deep foraging to find a really dark zone. So last night I hit the web and got fed up with the Astronomical prices we amature astronomers are expected to pay for a 40 inch duffle bag [removed word] holdall. I then thought who else has a large piece of kit in the repetoire for a hobbyist and thought its a long drum so looked up drum kit bags. Lo and behold I found a 42inch by 14inch by 14inch bag at a reasonable £25. Originally I surfed through EBay but was having the problem of kit still in tne ranges of Astronomy dealer prices so as a sort of last resort I went to that catchall site Amazon and found a few bags in the lower price range.

At the top is the link to the item I hope it solves a few peoples headaches, including mine.

Geoff

Very good, it is worth while rooting through on-line sites for a suitable and protective bag. My former 200mm fork mounted SCT, I stored and would carry / transport in a large Cargo bag with the OTA retained inside the original foam molding. Whenever I transport my 200mm dob, the tube is cradled within foam blocks and either seat belted across back seat or if family are in the car, packed with either bubble wrap or foam matting, held in place with rucksac type straps, at least this is the plan for when camping.  

It becomes interesting how you reappraise your car and what can go where, when suddenly astronomy equipment shipped to dark sites or star parties becomes a way of life. It is also surprising that with a little ingenuity how much larger than 200mm scopes can be accommodated almost tardis like in small vehicles.

For all those interested if you do need a kit bag for a 200pds this is definately bug enough I now have received the bag and it fits really well I now just need to find something for my CG5 tripod and mount as I have knocked my ra motor telephone style plug and need to glue it back on lol. I know this happens to mist people who transport their kit a lot.

The hunt resumes for the next purchases.

Geoff

The CG5 should fit in a standard Flight Case (maplins) - my HEQ5 fits in one.

The tripod I got a bag off e-bay, just search on tripod bag!  dont get the ones that say they have supplied them to Hollywood, I got one of these for my EQ6 tripod and its rubbish by comparison.

Well, I have my HEQ5 mount head in a maplins flight case as well but always have to worry whether the case is strong enough for it. It'll be good to get some foam cut-in as support. 

If anyone's interested, the Hi Gear Lugga Cargo 65 Holdall (available from gooutdoors at 29.99) is a good-sized bag for my AT 6'' RC scope (50*25*25). 

Mia

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice I will look at maplins flight case the head unit of my mount as it definately needs some protection. If it did not cost so much in excess baggageI would have packed it for my recent trip to the USA. Mind you the LP is really silly in the suburbs of their big cities and a trip into the more rural areas away from the sprawl and lp was a trek.

Geoff

I recently purchased one of these for my HEQ5 mount - plenty of space for the mount and a few small accessories too.

www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr

Perhaps not the cheapest case of this size, but so far it seems pretty sturdy and definitely has enough foam to give confidence that the mount is well protected.

Graeme

Archived