sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

I make sketches for the DSA (Deep Sky Archive) and most of them turn out so-so, but this one turned out pretty good. :angry: The negative version more resembles what was seen through the eyepiece, but it's way too artsy so I submitted the regular one.

And yep, they're individual dots... I must have sounded like a woodpecker tap-tap-tapping. :(

(Computer paper and 2H, H, 2B and 6B pencils.)

post-13732-133877370202_thumb.jpg

post-13732-133877370206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Talitha
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unbelievable sketch Carol. You have captured the magic of the globular cluster which is hard to do with a photograph let alone a sketch. Like yourself, I prefer the 'as done' rather than the negative.

Steve..

I don't know Carol, I think the fourth dot in at the 11 o'clock position needs to be moved slightly to the left... :angry:

Only joking - thats a fantastic picture :( . My attempts to draw what I see have been consistently disastrous to the extent that I've given up. Perhaps I will need to try again...

James

Darn it James, I was hoping no one would notice. :( Thanks everyone, it only took about 20 minutes and was pretty easy.. after all, they're merely dots on a paper. Try it, you might surprise yourself. :p

Algol, the list of my sketches can be accessed on the DSA site by clicking the 'Search' tab and entering Carol Lakomiak in the 'Observer' text box. Most of my sketches are starfield guides at best, but they achieve my goal of trying to help Amateurs see what DSOs look like in the eyepiece. Besides, it lets me take home a dozen souvenirs every time I go deep-sky-diving. :)

(Can't wait to sink my graphite into M13. :angry: )

James - I was going to say the same thing, but that would be rude!

Carol - I can't understand how you do this - it's just incredible! Maybe I should have a go. So much to do - so little clear sky :angry:

Andrew

Thanks everyone! :angry:

(We really need a 'curtsy' smiley, don't you think?)

Andrew (and everyone else :():

You should have a go at this. I admit the glob is a bit complex and might look intimidating, but if you look at the rest my sketch archive you'll see that most everything is pretty plain in comparison.

Please give it a try.. you won't regret it. :p

On the DSA Site, the 5 most recent sketches are Carols, as is the Sketch of the Week - a wonderful M104!!

Excellent stuff Carol!!!

Thanks Daz! :( Geeze, I didn't know I was sketch of the week, thanks for the heads-up.

Ian, it was the lunar sketching that helped me to build up speed... these DSOs are a piece of cake compared to racing the terminator. :angry:

That's impressive! both the sketch, and that THIS is what you see in your eyepiece! :shock: The most spectacular view in my EP was.. well, a little smaller.. looked something like that star at the bottom left of your sketch, jus a bit fainter :shocked: Lovely job Carol :cat: really amazing

Marius