SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A worthy upgrade?

Do you know, that did cross my mind when I saw the photos of the scope you have posted on the CN forum. With a 2" diagonal, the top end of the drawtube would be well up inside the scope. You would hope that the designers would ensure that it did not cut into the light cone but it has been known to be done :rolleyes2:

One has to wonder as to what came over them in so doing. :wink:   Actually, with the 2" diagonal at focus, and with the 20mm Erfle, the drawtube extends out quite a bit; and it would even moreso via straight-through viewing...

post-47381-0-87782800-1445561217.jpg

You have no idea as to how relieved I was in discovering and then plucking those two baffles out from the drawtube.  The feeling was not unlike that of narrowly escaping a pit of crocodiles.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on the new scope Peter.  :)

I love astronomy and own telescopes of almost every type. Call me mad, but I rarely sell them, even when buying another. I hate to let them go as each one has something different to the next. My wife says I could open a shop with what I have :grin:

I can tell you that views in the 150 Mak will be excellent, and as bright as what the ED120 can offer. It will have a much narrower FOV though, and the ED120 will have a smidgen more contrast and bite. It's close though.

The Mak needs a good hour to cool down and a dew shield of course. The refractor is good to go more or less straight away.

I found the short stubby size and weight of the 150 handled vibrations very well on an AZ4 mount.

Great choice Peter. Its a lovely scope.

Great to hear that Tony, with a bit of clear sky on Thursday it should see its first outing, Ive just ordered a new Telrad base so I can swap between the Mak and Frac, and a dew-heater will be added before too long. Thanks for you input.

Peter.

Archived