SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hoping some can help me with my synscan

paraletic mirror

Hi all this is the original post, wondering if anyone near me can help me test whats wrong basically

Basically last year i bought a eq3 synscan with a 150p, all worked fine untill i tried to update the firmware on the handset and the motor controller box, i had no problem updating the handset from 3.27 to 3.37, but after trying with the motor controller it said it would not be found no matter how well i followed the instructions from skywatcher, now my handset will not talk to my motor controller leaving me with no goto as i can not get them to play nice or at all for that matter!!! ive tried everything and i'am kinda going out my mind if i'm honest, i got in contact with teleskop express who seemed to be the only company able to get a new motor controller unit, so i paid for the item as it said in stock only to be told it was not in stock the next day, i waited 8 months with them telling me "skywatcher do not give a delivery date for spare parts" which i found very strange tbh, a "we will send you it when we want to send it kind of thing.

Thank you for your time all

Atb para

Hi

As it all went pear-shaped after you updated the hand controller, did you put the old firmware (3.27) back on?

If there is no fault in the cables then it should work again (as it did before).

I am driving through Ceres every day...

Hi

As it all went pear-shaped after you updated the hand controller, did you put the old firmware (3.27) back on?

If there is no fault in the cables then it should work again (as it did before).

I am driving through Ceres every day...

I did indead do this very recently and brought it back to 3.27 with exactly the same result "no link to m.c"(the terminology is different between 3.37 and 3.27)

atb para

So I guess, it is not the handset. I would then work my way down the 'wire'. Check the connector in the handset (discoloured pins would be a sign of corrosion). Then check the cable. You can use a simple voltmeter set to resistance to check if the cable including plugs are in working order. 

If it is the cable you can try a network cable. I think the cable is a standard RJ45 crossed computer network cable. So, if you have one at home you can try that. But don't blame me if anything goes wrong... 

If it is not the cable it 'must' then be the M.C.. I would check the connector there as well.

You could also use the autoguider port on the M.C. and test if you can connect e.g the R.A.+ pin to ground and see if the mount turns. Not sure how electrically savvy you are... 

So I guess, it is not the handset. I would then work my way down the 'wire'. Check the connector in the handset (discoloured pins would be a sign of corrosion). Then check the cable. You can use a simple voltmeter set to resistance to check if the cable including plugs are in working order. 

If it is the cable you can try a network cable. I think the cable is a standard RJ45 crossed computer network cable. So, if you have one at home you can try that. But don't blame me if anything goes wrong... 

If it is not the cable it 'must' then be the M.C.. I would check the connector there as well.

You could also use the autoguider port on the M.C. and test if you can connect e.g the R.A.+ pin to ground and see if the mount turns. Not sure how electrically savvy you are... 

I have bought all replacement cables (rj45) including a cat5e ethernet which is the same as the wire you get with it( the curly one), dont have a volt meter but if you think it will work i will get one, as for being savvy i am not lol sorry, been asking my father who is more clued up on these kind of cables how i would change my connections for stepper motor to rj11 to fit a astro eq box which on the verge of giving up and buying, he was round all day on staurday as we bashed through ellimination techniques, leaving us with the same thought something wrong with the M.C

atb para

Yes, I am talking it apart at the moment.

I checked the hand controller so far and run the com port diagnostics successfully. Easy to update the firmware.  So, all looks fine.

The cable from the handset to the MC was checked and works.

However the HC does not 'see' the MC. Different error code depending on the firmware. I am not able to connect to the MC nor move the motors. I tired flashing the MC, but this does not work either (as expected as there does not seem to be a connection from the HC to the MC....)

I then ran the MC alone and tried the autoguider port to initiate some motor movement. No success.

So, I guess the MC is the culprit.

Next step will be to follow the circuit board to see if the PIC is powered and still connected to the port. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived