Newbie stargazer

Sagan

Hi all! I'm brand new to astronomy and my first telescope arrived today: the Orion XT6. I had a lovely afternoon assembling it and having a look at the eyepieces and the Barlow lens I ordered as well. Absolutely can't wait to get out there and view the stars, so of course tonight is as cloudy as it could possibly be! I keep looking out my window as if the clouds will magically disappear but no such luck. Hoping for clear skies soon and a start to this wonderful new hobby.  :smiley:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL.

When the clouds are overhead, use the freeware program called Stellarium. If you cant sit outside,  then study the skies using this program, which can be configured to match your co-ordinates, allowing you to look learn and plan your next viewing session.

Its totally FREE and many folk use it, although there are other programs.

Most of all. just have fun learning.

Hi Sagan, welcome to SGL! :-)

The first thing I learnt about this hobby is that patience is most definitely a virtue. However, the rewards are more than worth it.

Agree with the Stellarium recommendation. I'd also add that Star Walk on iOS is a very good bit of kit as well (it actually orients itself to wherever the phone/iPad is pointing - I used it to supplement the red dot finder on my scope).

Hi Sagan,

Not exactly a Newbie but just returned to this hobby having acquired a reasonable scope for the first time, a Bresser Messier 127 L.  Have had some luck with clear skies in the morning and did manage to get Venus in my sights, so can second that recommenation.  Cant wait for the long winter evenings, good hunting!

Jim

Welcome to the hobby, Sagan.

It can be one of the most frustrating pastimes going around, particularly when itching to try out new kit, but is all worthwhile when those clouds finally part and you start navigating your way around the awesomeness of the night sky.

All the best!

Archived