Narrowband

North American Nebula

gost

This is a 45 minutes exposure (90 x 30 sec, ISO 2200) using a Nikon D810A with a Nikon 200mm f/2.0 lens at f/4.0. I stacked the images in Pixinsight and then processed the final image in Photoshop. No darks, bias or flats was taken or used.

gs_20151015_ngc7000_2000.jpg

Excellent final image !

Besides of course the skills, experience and the knowledge needed to have great results from what I've seen and read this DSLR is probably going to be the first CCDs real "enemy", well at least for the OSC ones. 

Wow, what a fantastic image.

I have often dreamt of owning the Nkkor 200mm f2 for terrestrial photography - based on your image it looks like it is well suited to astrophotography as well. I have been giving some thought to buying a decent refractor and had dismissed getting a nice Nikkor as I assumed that coma would be a problem. Your image however has only the tinniest trace of coma in the corners (orders of magnitute less than my Newtonian relfector with coma corrector fitted or any of my Nikkor lenses); I'd love to know how it performs at f2 / f2.8. Is f4 the sweet spot for this lens? Do you recommed this lens?

Anyway, well done on a lovely image with great detail and wonderful colours.

ps. I just looked at your facebook page and this one, as great as it is, is only one of your many fantastic images. Thanks for sharing - it gives me something to aspire to.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, this final image is somewhat cropped, here is an unedited single frame for you to evaluate, shot at f/4.0. The image is quite compressed with a low jpeg quality to reduce file size, but you should be able to evaluate the star quality.

I did some tests at f/2.0 and f/2.8 but I didn't nail the focus on them so I have to redo them. I also did a test at f/5.6 and then the stars looked really good even in the corners on the D810A.

Wow, what a fantastic image.

I have often dreamt of owning the Nkkor 200mm f2 for terrestrial photography - based on your image it looks like it is well suited to astrophotography as well. I have been giving some thought to buying a decent refractor and had dismissed getting a nice Nikkor as I assumed that coma would be a problem. Your image however has only the tinniest trace of coma in the corners (orders of magnitute less than my Newtonian relfector with coma corrector fitted or any of my Nikkor lenses); I'd love to know how it performs at f2 / f2.8. Is f4 the sweet spot for this lens? Do you recommed this lens?

Anyway, well done on a lovely image with great detail and wonderful colours.

ps. I just looked at your facebook page and this one, as great as it is, is only one of your many fantastic images. Thanks for sharing - it gives me something to aspire to.

Cheers
Mike

post-1926-0-98002700-1445079423_thumb.jp

I say again, it is a cracking image.  I assume the choice of 30 second exposures was because you were not guiding your CGEM?  (My teenage son wandered into my study whilst I was looking at your picture and he was so impressed that he is wondering if he should have a go).  I cannot stretch to the f/2.  I have the 180mm f/2.8 and one of those 70-200mm things.  I may have a go with the 180. 

I say again, it is a cracking image. I assume the choice of 30 second exposures was because you were not guiding your CGEM? (My teenage son wandered into my study whilst I was looking at your picture and he was so impressed that he is wondering if he should have a go). I cannot stretch to the f/2. I have the 180mm f/2.8 and one of those 70-200mm things. I may have a go with the 180.

You're correct, I wasn't guiding and 60 sec subs gave me some trailing, that's why I went for 30 sec.

Mike, this final image is somewhat cropped, here is an unedited single frame for you to evaluate, shot at f/4.0. The image is quite compressed with a low jpeg quality to reduce file size, but you should be able to evaluate the star quality.

I did some tests at f/2.0 and f/2.8 but I didn't nail the focus on them so I have to redo them. I also did a test at f/5.6 and then the stars looked really good even in the corners on the D810A.

Thank you for the image and the further details - I also read your review of the D810a and now I want one of them as well !

Cheers

Mike

Archived