SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M52 - Where are you?

Andrew

Hi everyone,

I've just got into astronomy and joined the forum. My wife bought me an Orion Starblast 4.5" reflector for Christmas. Since I'm new to this I have nothing to compare it with, but it seems to give some pretty decent views and I've worked my way around a fair few of the easy open clusters on show at the moment. I've even found a few things that I didn't expect to be able to locate (e.g. the eskimo nebula), but I just can't seem to find M52! I've been all over the area and even sketched a few things which turned out to look nothing like other sketches of this cluster on the web. Any advice on locating this one would be much appreciated before I go mad!

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to the Forum!

M52 it's quite a tough one being Mag 8 but you may get a chance to see it in your scope. Sound like your enjoying yourself Andrew do you have some software to show you around the Night Sky?

Heres a Star Chart for M52 hope it helps you out.

James :lol:

Hi James,

I think you've just solved my problem! In my sketch I'd noted a very distinct arc of about five stars lying about a degree west of what I thought was M52. I can see some of those stars in the image you uploaded and also in the software I'm using (Hallo northern sky). I'd forgotten to use the software for this and I can now see exactly where M52 is in relation to where I've been looking. As soon as the clouds clear I'm pretty confident I'll track it down now.

Thanks

Andrew

Archived