Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finderscope for 130eq

Hey all just wanted a bit of advice and opinion on what would be a good starter finderscope for my astromaster 130eq. Havent used the scope much at all but can tell the stock red dot sight isnt up to standard. This is my very first scope so just looking for a decent replacement finderscope that isnt going to break the bank :) anything has to be better than that peice of junk red dot sight haha :) cheers all

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for the RACI.

If you like, you can keep the red dot finder and use it, as per laudropb's technique with his Rigel, to get into the general area and then use the RACI to fix on the exact point. Red dot finders are perfectly serviceable tools but, as with any straight through finder, they can demand some difficult positions of the body - resulting in an aching back and tortured neck.

What is most important is to ensure you have the finder(s) aligned as tightly as possible.

Another vote for the RACI and the red-dot finder. Align the RACI in the daytime - a distant steeple or other such entity is ideal. And you can use a software-program, such as Stellarium, to show you a finder - Field-Of_View (FOV) on your screen to help you find the desired target.

Dave

I think the AstroMaster has a Celestron finder shoe that may not fit standard Synta feet. This Baader quick release base may be useful: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-universal-quick-release-finder-base.html

I bought this Orion EZ II reflex sight to replace the borked one that came with my Skymax. You can see the standard Synta foot with its characteristic little heel.

Orion%20EZ%20II_zpsohnltvhp.jpg

However, the little heel isn't necessary for it to fit. It just keeps the sight foot in the same position when mounted as the shoe is longer than the foot.

Later I purchased a TS Optics RDAC which fits the Synta shoe but you have to remember exactly where in the shoe when placed and tightened as it lacks the little heel, otherwise the collimation of the sight with the scope itself may alter when you reassemble again after using it. The TS Optics comes with a microfibre cloth, spare battery and an Allen key. It is constructed of gunmetal I believe. There is a choice of reticules and LED colours red/green. The LED can be a bit bright for faint objects though even on the lowest setting. There are several equivalents to this reflex, including an Orion. They may all be manufactured by GSO.

TS%20RDAC1_zpsrnctisqg.jpg

TS%20RDAC2_zpsphdpcfty.jpg

There are several variations on 9x50 RACI finders (sometimes 8x50), mine here (below), is an Orion 9x50, but the Sky-Watcher, Antares and TS-Optics equivalents all seem to be virtually identical. The Synta foot is the same as the EZ II reflex finder. You can get some RACI finders with illuminated reticules but they are usually more expensive. I can't recommend one of these RACI finders (with or without illumination) enough for finding objects near the zenith.

Orion%209x50%20RACI_zpsrmasidt4.jpg

There are also dual mounting brackets if you want a reflex and an RACI finder. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D2LEHIU?keywords=Laser%20Finderscope&qid=1440249437&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I have a similar scope and have used a Rigel Quickfinder with it to good effect.

If you place it near the focuser at the end of the scope you shouldn't have to contort yourself to use it either.

Reflex sites are great in that it doesn't matter if you aren't exactly in line with it, the red circles will still be over the target. This is the main problem with an RDF, if you aren't bang in line then you are pointing at the wrong thing.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you run across the GSO 8 X 50mm RACI, it's a very nice one - but it has a quirk that may cause some to think it has a problem. And it may if you don't know how to use this 'problem' to your benefit. It's the mount.  I'll explain:

The GSO-mounting has the scope loosely held. If you try to tighten it down so it won't budge, it simply won't. You could get longer bolts to hold it tightly like my Orion and Meade's. Or you can realize that finders somehow manage to need a little adjustment after you've moved the main scope anywhere. And the GSO is very easy to adjust dead-on your target without causing any movement to your main scope. This can be very handy in the dark while playing with your cameras. I was amazed at how easily I could micro-adjust the finder with one hand while looking straight-on with no jiggling present. It glides smoothly. And the bolts are nylon at that.

If this would perturb you, you may wish to choose a different finder. But I like it. It also has the benefit that you can roll the finder in it's mount to position the eyepiece where it's best for you without needing yoga. Or a chiropractor.

Enjoy!

Dave

The Rigel actually looks quite good: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

If you look at the customer reviews almost everyone seems to use it to replace the AstroMaster 130 reflex sight. I still don't know about the attachment shoe though.

Celestron actually make an illuminated RACI: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-illuminated-right-angle-correct-image-finderscope.html

The Celestron RACI may be the same or very similar to the GSO RACI Dave In Vermont mentioned earlier as it appears the eyepiece module can be rotated left or right.

This (Celestron RACI) may have more chance of actually fitting an AstroMaster mounting shoe.

This Sky-Watcher RACI is basically the same as my Orion, it links the Baader quick release base on the page.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

Cheers for the help guys, im torn between a Telrad and the 9x50! The 9x50 is a bit more expensive than what id like to pay but i guess it would be very well woth it :) just have to make sure the missus doesnt find out how much im spending haha

I don't know about the Telrad but the Rigel Quickfinder comes with its own mounting shoes that are simply stuck onto the scope. A very simple setup that works well.

I have the external battery pack for mine but really only need that for really cold weather as unlike the stock red dot finder it doesn't inexplicably drain its battery while turned off.

/Dan

The bad news is that the 130EQ does not have a standard  shoe to fit a 9x50 finder be it straight through or RACI.  In  fact it doesn't have any finder fitting at all apart from part of the tube to which Celestron's very poor RDF is attached and to which as far as I know nothing else will fit. 

Good news is the Rigel which comes with its own stick on base works very well with the 130EQ. The stick on (very sticky) base is very secure and given that the Rigel is quite light it stays put and well aligned. It is possible to stick a finder shoe to an OTA with sticky pads but given the weight of a 9x50 I don't think its a good idea. I drilled my 130EQ to fit a shoe properly and a 9x50 RACI was attached very securely. In itself its not a hard job at all, but it means removing and refitting the primary mirror (and being very careful with the secondary) and re-collimating it all. Again, not especially difficult but seems a bit daunting when you are new to things!

I'd be inclined to start with a Rigel or a Telrad (which has a larger footprint) which will be a dramatic improvement over the standard Celestron RDF and go from there.

I like the look of the telrad more than the rigel, both seem to be more within my price range as well. Im not to keen on drilling holes in the tube, knowing me id mess it up! So something that sticks is much more desirable :) il prob go for a rigel or telrad after having a good think :)

I like the look of the telrad more than the rigel, both seem to be more within my price range as well. Im not to keen on drilling holes in the tube, knowing me id mess it up! So something that sticks is much more desirable :) il prob go for a rigel or telrad after having a good think :)

Seems to me like you're sorted, Starlord.

I went for the Rigel purely because the Telrad would have been to big to fit nicely on my little frac. You shouldn't have that problem though since you have plenty of tube space to put either on so go with whichever you think will suit you best.

/Dan

Cheers for the help guys, im torn between a Telrad and the 9x50! The 9x50 is a bit more expensive than what id like to pay but i guess it would be very well woth it :) just have to make sure the missus doesnt find out how much im spending haha

According to most people Telrads are the best invention since the telescope itself lol. I may just have to buy one myself to see what all the fuss is about. It might be worth contacting FLO to see if that Celestron RACI will fit the mounting bracket/shoe on your scope. Believe me, a reflex sight is good for planets and anything low or in the plane of the ecliptic, but for finding objects anywhere near the zenith you can't beat an RACI. Especially if you don't have a GOTO, they're worth every penny. 

One of the great features of the Telrad and Quikfinder finders is that the reticules can be dimmed enough to ensure that they are useful for hunting faint objects under dark skies. Many of the multi-reticule and red dot finders that I've used (including some big name brands) are too bright even on their dimmest setting, betraying their roots as daytime finders I guess. The Telrads and Quikfinders were designed for astronomy by astronomers.

I find that having both and optical finder (preferrably right angle, correct image) and a Telrad or Quikfinder on the scope is extremely useful as there seem to be many objects where the two compliment each other in the finding process.

While the Telrad could be said to have an iconic design, there is a lot of empty space within it's bodywork. The Quikfinder has a much smaller footprint on the scope tube. Both are great devices :smiley:

Here is some further reading on these devices for those interested:

Telrad: http://www.company7.com/telrad/products/telrad.html

Quikfinder: http://www.company7.com/rigel/products/qwikfinder.html

My TS Optics RDAC is basically a modified NATO gunsight and in the included instructions there were remarks about 'windage' and references to recoil lol. I tend to swap between a reflex and an RACI on my small Mak (depending on target) as I think having both at the same time may be too heavy. I'm not too sure about attaching a Telrad but the QuikFinder looks as if it will fit a standard Synta shoe.

The Orion RACI actually works very well on the Mak even though it's around half the Mak's aperture size.

LittleCat%20with%20OrionFS_zps2dglvvtc.j

Hey all just wanted a bit of advice and opinion on what would be a good starter finderscope for my astromaster 130eq. Havent used the scope much at all but can tell the stock red dot sight isnt up to standard. This is my very first scope so just looking for a decent replacement finderscope that isnt going to break the bank :) anything has to be better than that peice of junk red dot sight haha :) cheers all

I would give it a chance, just to see if you can get it to work, before any big spend?

I have an old 5" telescope  in the shed, with a basic finder, and trying another finder made no difference, it was not worth the effort, in fact, the finder scope was better than the scope!  but  going for a wider field eyepiece did make a slight increase in the telescopes usability, so there is an option, a big old wide view eyepiece. 

As mentioned above, your scope is not equipped to take other scopes unless you use the stick on pads for the Rigel,  Telrad or even use tie-wraps. Thats not to say you cant bolt one on after a bit of DIY.

I keep mentioning ( as it might affect some users )  the Telrad is good,  but I need to wear my prescription glasses  to clearly define the target reticule, being slightly short sighted.

I sold my first Telrad, but  then felt something was amiss, so bought a second, yet I now  hardly use it from my back garden, as I just prefer the straight through 9x50 finder scope.  I  also don't have to reach or lean over as far to align with the Telrad either. 

From darker skies, the 9x50s reticule is harder to see against the dark sky, so the Telrad gets switched on!

Darn. I'd say that might be a bit difficult. A not so expensive finder that's good. Hmm. If you don't like stiff necks, orkward positions, a right-angled finder scope is a must! I learned over the years, that a good finderscope is worth the investment, and will last you for life. Please hear me out. When using star charts and star-hopping to find objects through an optical finderscope, you'll wish you'd had at least a 50mm aperture FS (finder scope) and errect prism to give you upright, and corrected images (as the sky appears to the naked eye). If you are trying to find an object that is faint, with no near-by bright stars, a red-dot finder is useless. Only an optical finderscope with errecting prism is good for that. You'll spend time at the FS star hopping too, to find your objects. Which means, neck pains are going to be an issue for most. Thats why a 90 degree errecting prism is essential to comfortable viewing. I cannot emphazise that enough.

And also consider trying to center on a barely vissible galaxy through the finder scope, but there is no near-by bright stars to light up your reticule (the cross in the finderscope). You won't see the cross. You only see the galaxy through the finderscope with averted vision. Still, you see no crosshairs. In spring time looking around Leo and Virgo. Trust me, lots of dark, dark, dark sky, with not many bright stars. So whats the solution. Illuminated Reticule. For me, it is a must.

But all this must cost a fortune. Not necessarily. Stellarvue sell a range of superb finderscopes from the states, for example;

http://www.stellarvue.com/f50/

Also, Orion Telescopes sells an even cheaper one here;

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy/optical-and-red-dot-finderscopes/orion-usa-9x50-illuminated-right-angle-ci-finder-scope

And if you decide to splash out, check out the Antares FS;

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/astronomy/optical-and-red-dot-finderscopes/altair-10x60mm-raci-finder-scope

I hope that helps. Best of luck in making the right choice.

Thanks for that info but those are a bit out of my price range, im no scrooge but my funds are limited. They look great fimders though! Now im

Torn between a telrad and a 9x50! So many choices!

If I had to choose just one I'd go for the 9x50 RACI. Reflex sights are brilliant for what they are (the slight shortcomings of ex-NATO modified gunsights aside) but once you use an RACI you wonder how you ever managed without one. Although this applies more to objects at high angles, particularly near the zenith, predominantly. I find for lunar and planetary a reflex is all I need. One odd thing many people say about using an RACI is that it's a pretty good little telescope in its own right. I once spent nearly half an hour looking at things with my RACI almost oblivious to the fact that it was connected to a Maksutov twice its aperture. In my defence though it was new and the novelty at not having to perform painful yoga positions to find things hadn't quite worn off.  :grin:

Archived