Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

KIC 8462852 - Have we detected megastructures built by aliens around a distant star?

tingting44

Without further information we have no idea what is there. There's not much point in speculating over something we cannot see.

But speculate I shall. I cant rule out the fact that this could not only be advanced civilization, but one that is in the middle of an interplanetary war. One of the alien civilizations might be trying to screw the other one over by blocking out most if its sunlight. Such a thing around our sun would have dramatic consequences for life on Earth. Based on this, one would be forgiven for assuming that the alien planet itself lies within this megastructure. Most likely is that the star is passing through an oort cloud or somethin tho. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, thats the type of event I was thinking of. However, the time scale for this ti occur is pretty small, so the chances of observing the event must be rather rare. I think it may be a system in turmoil after a planetary migration., along the lines of our own heavy bombardment period. Its certainly interesting.

That would suggest a younger star than the sun. I gather this is a slightly older star (might be wrong of course). More observations are clearly needed

• 10 months later...

And ??

Well what a pity " The SETI Institute's initial radio reconnaissance of KIC 8462852, however, found no evidence of technology-related radio signals from the star ".

And still no B ark. 

But hope " Due to the failure of two of Kepler's reaction wheels the star's predicted 750-day dip around April 2015 was not recorded; further observations are planned for May 2017 "

(tx to Wikipedia :headbang:)

Archived