Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 130p Flextube accessories

Hi all,

I've sold off the C6R and EQ6 lumps that was gathering dust and have just ordered a small but perfectly formed 130p. I still have a lot of eyepieces but I've never owned a reflector. What ancillaries might I need? eg: best way of collimating.

Many thanks,

Huw.

So it's arrived and I'm pleased to see the primary has a central ring marked on it - I've been Googling collimation and I think I have my head around it. I have a VERY cheap looking cheshire eyepiece from years ago that will hopefully get me on the straight and narrow. FLO kindly delivered a Celestron Xcel 2x barlow yesterday as my old barlow is a 2" Revelation which isn't going to fit. Can't wait to get it un-boxed properly later.

Hi Huw, the little 130 Heritage is quite a surprising package, I've found. I find the helical focuser a bit of a disappointment, but despite my grumbles, when it comes to it, it brings objects to focus surprisingly well. From feed back I've read the focuser seems to vary in quality control - some are a bit tight and others, like mine, are a bit loose in the threads. Looseness can be quite effectively be treated (not cured) with some plumbers PTFE wound round the threads until, with trial and error, until it feels right. Looks clumsy but works.

A suitable height solid garden table is useful to mount it on, but failing this it would not take much DIY to knock something up that would do the job.

Collimation is a doddle. I used a home made collimation cap and a cheshire. I'd try yours out before investing in anything else. Because of the open truss design its easy to screen off the primary, and put a sheet of coloured card behind the secondary - this makes checking the secondary so much less confusing (to me). After this adjusting the primary is easy.

With collimation checked, and  with the EPs you have, I reckon you are ready to go. The Heritage is so easily deployable you can be out under the stars very quickly. I've frequently been pleasantly surprised with the views I've had with mine, although I doubt if it will come up to the C6 - but certainly a lot more portable. Good luck with it.

I use mine on an upturned plastic bucket and I sit on a small collapsible stool or garden chair.

Have a collimation cap for using on mine.

Being fast at f5 the collimation when you look at it is offset, see atsro babys guide to collimation for a picture.

Thanks both. It really is lovely and I should have bought this in the first place! It is very portable and now I can easily pop to dark sites in Gower and take it camping - with the C6R and EQ6 it was just way to much hassle. I finally get it that the best telescope is the one you actually use. 

Collimation was easy with my cheap cheshire and a star test at high mag confirmed it was spot on (beginners luck perhaps). I can't help fiddling so I have improved the loose-ish  focuser with PTFE tape and vaseline. I also had a look at the bearings and lubed those as well (no need really).

In between clouds and with terrible light pollution (street lamps, neighbour's security light and my wifes garden lanterns dangling on the fence next to me!) I tried a 40mm Meade super plossl and 25mm Celestron Xcel. The Milky Way was a treat through both and I can't wait to try it on some planets - I think Venus, Jupiter and Mars are up at around 6am but I won't be awake in time tomorrow!

I'm so pleased to be back in the saddle!!

Great to hear a happy success story. You did well with the 40mm, that's a big exit pupil, but hey if it works for you that's good.  I really like the views I get with my 20mm Maxvision which gives 32.5 x and just over 2 degrees.

Some folks fit a home made light shroud to wrap around the open truss of the Heritage but I've not tried that or really felt the need, yet.

Enjoy your new set up.

Archived