Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Holiday to visit UK telescopes - La Palma?

Thinking of taking a short break in early January.It struck me that there are some island destinations that have our UK telescopes.I know that The Herschel telescope is on La Palma.

Does any one know of any others and can visits be arranged?

Tenerife might have one,not sure. Has anyone visited while on holiday?

Thinking of taking a short break in early January.It struck me that there are some island destinations that have our UK telescopes.I know that The Herschel telescope is on La Palma.

Does any one know of any others and can visits be arranged?

Tenerife might have one,not sure. Has anyone visited while on holiday?

The Isaac Newton Telescope (INT) was moved from Herstmonceux to La Palma. The William Herschel Telescope was built on La Palma under the direction of the Royal Greenwich Observatory (RGO). I have not been there since the 1990s but there were several other observatories there.  I don't know how it works now as everything was handed over to Spain but there used to be an office in Santa Cruz on La Palma that used to deal with this sort of stuff.  

Visitors were restricted but we did have them coming round every so often.  

It was a while ago so it may be different now. I would suggest contacting the organisations that run the facilities. 

Archived