Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Used v new?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking eyepieces and accessories might be good from AstroBoot if the price is right. Astrobuysell is also on my list where to look and seems straightforward - but I wasn't sure if AstroBoot was as good as it seems (descriptions etc)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking eyepieces and accessories might be good from AstroBoot if the price is right. Astrobuysell is also on my list where to look and seems straightforward - but I wasn't sure if AstroBoot was as good as it seems (descriptions etc)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The descriptions on Astroboot are accurate but need to be read carefully because of that to ensure that you know what you are getting.

Apart from two Explore Scientific eyepieces, and the Lunt wedge, everything I own was bought second hand or in sales. The majority of the S/H stuff was from ABS, some from Astroboot (little bits and pieces) and eBay. I have never had a problem with any of these, touch wood!

Astroboot is only any good for bits and bobs, spares etc. The eps they sell seem to be the low end of the market, those that generally come free with a scope. That said I have bought many times from there and always gad great service and prompt delivery. Also I have had some very good Meade 5000 Ultra Wides from ABS.

I have bought from Astroboot on several occasions and never felt badly done by. They are accurate to the point of brutality in their descriptions of items for sale and work an 'A1-A6' quality rating on many of their items. A lot of items are less than a fiver and are almost unobtainable elsewhere.

I rate them as an honest, no-nonsense company. They are helpful, but don't go looking for a long esoteric email discussion about the pros and cons of something they're shifting for £3.50, for example. Read the description - it is often humorous. I mean who would think it anything less than honest when the description says something like: "a joke of a tripod which is wobblier than a wobbly thing and less stable than a blancmange"?

They're not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes with that kind of talk!

Astroboot is only any good for bits and bobs, spares etc. The eps they sell seem to be the low end of the market, those that generally come free with a scope. That said I have bought many times from there and always gad great service and prompt delivery. Also I have had some very good Meade 5000 Ultra Wides from ABS.

Not strictly true. They list a number of scopes, binos and mounts on there too which are worth checking out. I've just picked up a TAL 100RS for £150, waiting for delivery.

As mentioned descriptions are always accurate, no problem there. Delivery is not always rapid but the items always get to you. It's a good fun site to browse, you never quite know what you will find [emoji3]

Yep only good things to say about them from me!  Always had a quick email response and I bought a relatively expensive item from in with my SW 120ED at a price I could just not say no too.. ;)  They seem to get in quite a few slightly damaged scopes or just ex-demonstration (as in my case) from importers. Yeah, it's not just for small stuff...  Sometimes it's a bit limited what they have but then again they often have a stack of stuff on there - you have to keep an eagle eye out for the bargains and as mentioned above read the descriptions very very carefully :)

Just to chip in, I got my 200pds from Astroboot at a bargain price and am very happy with it (and a number of other lesser items over the years).  For scopes you have to make sure you know what you're getting, since once you factor in the cost of tube rings, finderscopes, diagonals etc (if they're not included) it can bring the price up.  That said, there's a 200p ota on there now at £120 and a 150pl ota at £55 - which are pretty much new stuff.   

I have a look a few times per month and find something unusual/useful/hard to find, and end up buying it.

A few years ago I ordered a 'CLA-1 to T-thread adaptor' for my ageing Olympus C2040 so I can use my EPU with my 'scopes. The Olympus one is/was £20plus + p&p the AstroBoot/AE one is/was £4 + p&p.

Not strictly true. They list a number of scopes, binos and mounts on there too which are worth checking out. I've just picked up a TAL 100RS for £150, waiting for delivery.

As mentioned descriptions are always accurate, no problem there. Delivery is not always rapid but the items always get to you. It's a good fun site to browse, you never quite know what you will find [emoji3]

another scope, your going to need a bigger car :grin:

another scope, your going to need a bigger car :grin:

That may well happen before March Mike :)

As if to emphasise the fact that AstroBoot can be trusted, I received a call today from them. It turns out that on inspection there was a problem with one tube ring on the scope I had bought. They had managed to cobble together something which apparently works fine but leaves one half of the tube ring slightly offset from the other.

My choice. Accept a full refund or a £20 reduction in the scope. Easy decision really, should be with me in the next day or so for £130 delivered now [emoji3]

That may well happen before March Mike :)

As if to emphasise the fact that AstroBoot can be trusted, I received a call today from them. It turns out that on inspection there was a problem with one tube ring on the scope I had bought. They had managed to cobble together something which apparently works fine but leaves one half of the tube ring slightly offset from the other.

My choice. Accept a full refund or a £20 reduction in the scope. Easy decision really, should be with me in the next day or so for £130 delivered now [emoji3]

good result stu, and so honest of them, i thought it was only flo that had good customer service

I've just picked up a TAL 100RS for £150, waiting for delivery.

A great buy, im sure you'll be pleased with it.

I tend to get most of my stuff from ABS or the classifieds within this forum. I bought my RS new though since I had trouble sourcing one... Generally people tend to look after astro kit, Im sure they are the usual knocks and scratches on used kit but so long as the damage is minor go for it!

Archived