Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got my new toy :)

Got my new ED80 from FLO to go on my Nexstar SE mount. Initial daytime viewing has really impressed, head and shoulders above my F11 achromat. Have yet to look to up as the scope was delivered with a healthy dose of cloud cover, obviously...

Still have issues with clearance above 64° alt, however, I have a 2" Altair Lightwave Premium diagonal and MkIII Baader Zoom with barlow on order. With a combined weight of over a kilo, I figure the tube will move forward nearly two inches. This, along with removing the 2" to 1.25" adapter and winding the focuser in should hopefully clear me to Zenith. I will have to use a 2" eye-piece extension, but, in this case the added weight only serves to improve the situation :)

post-6422-0-40280500-1444643621_thumb.jp

post-6422-0-39255100-1444643623_thumb.jp

Good news...the final parts of my new setup arrived. Hopefully this little lot will aid in moving my balance point allowing me to squeeze a few more degrees of alt out of the mount.

post-6422-0-91930400-1444737764_thumb.jp

Bad news...my scope has to go back to FLO after I noticed dust in the lens cell, apparently between the doublets. Boo.

Good news...the final parts of my new setup arrived. Hopefully this little lot will aid in moving my balance point allowing me to squeeze a few more degrees of alt out of the mount.

attachicon.gifIMG_0588.JPG

Bad news...my scope has to go back to FLO after I noticed dust in the lens cell, apparently between the doublets. Boo.

Ouch! I'm sure FLO will see it put right.

No I haven't Kat so this months payday spend is going to be on cleaning kit! I'm very wary about touching the lenses but realise that actually a scope can be pretty filthy and still perform well so I must resist cleaning every session.

Martin @ FLO has cleaned the back of the optic for me. Hopefully once my new diagonal and EP are fitted, no more dust will get in. I'm going to get myself a blower, Celestron brush pen & some Baader wonder fluid for when cleaning time does eventually come.

Rocket blower is just a simple rubber shape you squeeze to release a puff of air to blow off any topical dust.

It is not compressed air (rather compressed gunk in a can).

Astroboot have rocket blower for less than £3.

I was not suggesting any cleaning kit.

Have a search on rocket blower.

No not brush pen they can scratch I thiink.

I have never cleaned any of mine in over 2 years now.

The rocket blower is used on my camera lens and ccd, but is useful to have to blow loose dust/debris off.

Don't buy in haste have a search and read up first.

Tada! All back together with new diagonal and Baader zoom :)

Unfortunately I haven't gained the alt I was hoping for, however, I can live with it. If there's something I really want to see above 70 degrees I can always temporarily slide the tube forward in the rings as the balance becomes less critical close to zenith.

I must admit I wasn't ready for the reversed image in the diagonal as my old scope used an erecting prism. The dielectric should perform much better though but I'll get a decent erecting prism for planetary and daytime use I think.

All in all I'm really happy with this setup, very easy to move in & outdoors. Just need some clear skies now!

post-6422-0-32397600-1444939727_thumb.jp

Thinking of similar possibilities with my NexStar SE mount. Would I be right in saying that the limit of forward movement in the dovetail jaws is caused by the focus knob fouling the cheeks of the dovetail jaws cover? Are you able to get a reasonable balance with your latest arrangement?

Ian

Hello,

congratulation on the telescope. Don't worry about the zenith. A motorized alt-az mount isn't of much use there anyway. The goto becomes slow to find a target straight up, and the az motor has to run very fast close to the zenith. I know because I have the same mount. Just make sure you have the slew limit set so that the telescope won't bump into the mount accidentally.

Happy observing!

The Admiral, on 18 Oct 2015 - 6:59 PM, said:

Thinking of similar possibilities with my NexStar SE mount. Would I be right in saying that the limit of forward movement in the dovetail jaws is caused by the focus knob fouling the cheeks of the dovetail jaws cover? Are you able to get a reasonable balance with your latest arrangement?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes you're right. I have moved the rear tube ring forward on the dovetail to allow more forward tube movement as the dovetail is now flush with the rear of the dovetail jaws, but, the focus knob does foul as you mentioned if pushed too far. The tube can be rotated of course but it would have to be near 90° to clear completely.

The scope is now balanced with the diagonal and Baader Zoom allowing me 64° of alt, but I have 25mm of draw tube exposed. With an eyepiece extension fitted I hope to wind the draw tube in by 20mm or so, which should allow for 70°.

In the event I want to go higher, with the draw tube only 5mm out, the scope will slide forward in the rings without the focus knob fouling the dovetail jaws and the diagonal clears the mount. Hope that makes sense!

Ruud, on 18 Oct 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:

Hello,

congratulation on the telescope. Don't worry about the zenith. A motorized alt-az mount isn't of much use there anyway. The goto becomes slow to find a target straight up, and the az motor has to run very fast close to the zenith. I know because I have the same mount. Just make sure you have the slew limit set so that the telescope won't bump into the mount accidentally.

Happy observing!

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it's not worth me chasing Zenith then and I think I'll be happy with the method above allowing me 70°. I have set my slew limits already and find it accurate enough to be set within a few mm of making contact with the base.

Just need some clear skies now, day 4 of cloud cover here in S. Wales, with another 5 days of the same forecast :sad:

Archived