Narrowband

Baader Classic Q-Eyepiece Set or Meade Series 4000 Eyepiece Set

Jordan2013

I've used all the Baader Classic series - I reviewed them for the forum:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/baader-classic-ortho-plossl-review.html

Although simple in construction the optics in them are excellent. The Baader Q-Turret 2.25x Barlow is a lovely optic as well.

I've owned and used a few Meade 4000 plossls over the years (both the original Japanese ones and the later Taiwanese and Chinese ones) and they are decent eyepieces but in optical terms the Baader Classics are a cut above them in my opinion.

I've not used the Turret though so I can't comment on that piece of equipment.

As with all othoscopics and plossls the Baader Classics have a standard 45-50 degree apparent field of view and the eye relief of the shorter ones will be tight if you wear glasses when observing.

I think that its cheaper to buy the set, including the turret, than buying each one separately..that way you can try the turret, see if you like it, and if not sell it here or on eBay, you'd probably get your money back on it:-).

You also get a nice metal box to store the set in!

Oh, and the eyepieces are very good too..

Dave

Personally I'd buy the 3 Baader Classic Orthos and the 2.25x barlow lens. I'd prefer the 30mm Vixen NPL plossl over the Baader Classic 32mm plossl to be honest with you because it's a better performer and gives a full 50 degree apparent field of view wheras it's around 46 degrees with the Baader Classic 32mm.

Yep the Baader 32mm plossl is not good at all, if it were me I'd just get the 18mm BCO and the 2.25x barlow which can be screwed directly into the eyepiece to give 1.3x mag. That would give you 18mm,13mm and 8mm.

Then you could decide if you needed the other BCOs.

James.

Thanks for the advice but in still stuck in what do get realy want one for deep sky and a couple of planetary and have about £200 to spend on them.

The 18mm and 10mm Baader classic orthos are great for deep sky as is the Vixen NPL 30mm for wider, low power views.

Archived