Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M63 Widefield

Paxo

Taken on Thursday 8th May. Seeing, at first, seemed a little better than recent as there was a little bit of a breeze blowing. Decided on M63 (shoting galaxies near my zenith due to v. bad light pollution). Tinkered a little bit with recent settings and decided upon 120 sec subs at iso800 to try and minimise the seeing effects and light pollution. Not quite the usual set up, shot this through the canon 40D but attached to the WO FLT110 via a TMB field flattener (couldn't attach via a usual 2" T piece as the OIII filter I had attached for an earlier moon shot was well and truely stuck). took 32 120 second subs, usual guiding with PhD/GPUSB through WO Megrez 72/DSI.

I didn't appreciuate how relatively small this target was hence the (very) widefield result. Although the seeing was poorish, I'm cracking on to get the hang of using all the equipment/software to have a real good crack from dark sky sites come the darkr evenings.

Enjoy, Steve..

post-13953-133877341456_thumb.jpg

Don't know how I came to miss this one......... A really nice image in fact excellent in my opinion. :thumbup:

I'm a great fan of the wide view. Just love poking around to see what may be hiding away in among the stars. Sad really. :p

Is the posted image a crop or a full frame? If the latter then it must look great full size. :( I pumped up the volume a bit on the section containing M63 and was not really surprised at the detail to be found even with a medium increase in resolution.

The actual extent of the galaxy is not apparent in the image at first glance and there are probably other goodies to be found. Problem is working on a field that large I tend to forget where I am. :angry:

Here is a first try as mentioned above.

Glad you posted that one,Steve.

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Don't know how I came to miss this one......... A really nice image in fact excellent in my opinion. :thumbup:

I'm a great fan of the wide view. Just love poking around to see what may be hiding away in among the stars. Sad really. :p

Is the posted image a crop or a full frame? If the latter then it must look great full size. :( I pumped up the volume a bit on the section containing M63 and was not really surprised at the detail to be found even with a medium increase in resolution.

The actual extent of the galaxy is not apparent in the image at first glance and there are probably other goodies to be found. Problem is working on a field that large I tend to forget where I am. :angry:

Here is a first try as mentioned above.

Glad you posted that one,Steve.

Cheers

CW

Thanks CW, the image posted is the full frame. I'm a bit new to this astro-imaging game. I think I just about have the beating of the electronics and mechanics of it all now, just got to get the hang of the processing so it's getting out whenever I can, and in this case, choosing a more difficult target.

Your picture mod is fantastic :hello1: , I never really thought of cropping down. I might give it a go on the 'just stacked' data see what happens.

Again, thanks

Steve

Archived