Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

...probably the 2 best Saturn images this apparition...

Kokatha man

I posted these on CN last night & thought I'd post them here on SGL as well: there are 2 or 3 other images on about the same level as these but I chose these 2 to create a couple of our "Somersaulting Saturns" for the website...

Check out the website http://momilika.net/  & click on the Saturn icon & then go to the  "Latest Saturns" link to see a bit more info but SGL should accept the .pngs at full scale...if not they'll definitely be full-size on our website! ;)

ps: The top image is from the ASI174MM & the bottom from the ASI224MC! :)

post-3551-0-90491100-1444180197_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-23847400-1444180241_thumb.pn

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning sequences from both cameras Darryl - the ASI224 is top of my to buy list with Jupiter season coming around.      Were you using an ADC with the 224, or simply realigning colour channels in post processing?

Thanks folks - apologies for the late reply. :)

C14 & the 2 cameras mentioned...Antares 1.6X barlow operating a bit higher than nominal value...no ADC...just an "RGB Align" in Registax6...

The mono (ASI174MM) image benefited from many more frames (30'33" WinJupos compilation) compared to the 18' compilation for the colour camera. (ASI224MC)

The seeing was clearly better for the mono also...& the mono also benefited from the 3rd r-g-b capture which was very sharp being used as an additional luminance image in that outcome: we often try to catch an odd-number of captures (or capture sets) in rapid succession so that the middle one has the exact UT midpoint as the total set to use in this way... ;)

These additional aspects certainly give testimony to the colour camera's capabilities here - especially as it was taken 6&1/2 weeks after opposition compared to the mono cam's image taken 3&1/2 weeks before opposition... :)

Thanks folks - apologies for the late reply. :)

C14 & the 2 cameras mentioned...Antares 1.6X barlow operating a bit higher than nominal value...no ADC...just an "RGB Align" in Registax6...

The mono (ASI174MM) image benefited from many more frames (30'33" WinJupos compilation) compared to the 18' compilation for the colour camera. (ASI224MC)

The seeing was clearly better for the mono also...& the mono also benefited from the 3rd r-g-b capture which was very sharp being used as an additional luminance image in that outcome: we often try to catch an odd-number of captures (or capture sets) in rapid succession so that the middle one has the exact UT midpoint as the total set to use in this way... ;)

These additional aspects certainly give testimony to the colour camera's capabilities here - especially as it was taken 6&1/2 weeks after opposition compared to the mono cam's image taken 3&1/2 weeks before opposition... :)

Thanks Darryl, you had already sold me on the ASI224MC camera and this will be my first buy of the UK Jupiter season (I had my first visual sighting this morning as Jupiter cleared my eastern horizon/rooftops at about 05:30hrs).    The fact that your colour Saturn images, which are undoubtedly world class, were achieved without ADC does suggest that even more may be possible.    I guess the key question would be could an ADC add more than the optical losses associated with the additional elements?   Still keeping an eye on the ZWO site, but still no announcement on the development and release of their own ADC.     Suitably inspired I shall go ahead with the camera purchase and have until Feb/March next to decide on the ADC.

Absolutely awesome detail. You are very bad for my recurring aperture fever! ;)

Ha-ha! Apologies for not responding to the additional kind replies to this thread lately, my mind has been elsewhere!

Saturn imaging in 2015 is for all intents & purposes over for us now...

Archived