Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

daz

SGL XI Chit Chat

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Whilst I understand the need to move pitches around it would have been nice to have been provided with a new pitch plan (by Lucksall) as it was impossible to find where people were despite me doing a personal trip around the field with the pitch plan and amending it.  So there were a few people I wanted to meet that I annoyingly missed.

I had the same problem, Carole, but I popped into Reception and asked for the pitch numbers of the people I was looking for and the staff very helpfully pointed me in the right direction. I think they were more focused on making sure we all had somewhere not too soggy to sleep rather than worrying about whether or not we could find one another.

• Like 4

Thanks to Grant and Daz for organising another great event.

It was good to meet up with friends again and thoroughly enjoyed bagging some new Herschel objects on the monday and wednesday nights. Would've loved to have been there for the clear skies on sunday night as well but I was well worn out by then!

Also, big thanks to JonH and Mark for the advice and tips during the photography and galaxy workshops :-)

A huge thanks to Grant, Daz and the team for yet another great star party. Really enjoyed catching up with old friends and meeting new. Also a big thanks to Rik for giving me the opportunity to play with fire next to a fast flowing river in the dark while drinking beer and being mocked by a bunch of drunken SGL-ers and an evil viking. Going to be difficult to top that next year!

• Like 5

Thanks Grant/Daz/Michael/RikM etc for organising the event and various activities and talks...  Great to meet old friends and make some new ones...

Thanks Ron for letting me crash the night at very short notice... Gutted I missed a few people I needed to see - sorry to Davey-T who dragged a battery with him but we didn't meet up for me to get it off him...

Sorry I left sharpish without saying goodbye to many - my back was in ribbons with lower back spasms and pins and needles in my legs it was then or never - plus I had only had half a bottle of cider at that point and I wanted to get home before it got dark...

Peter...

Caught up on sleep now and feeling refreshed enough to return the Black Maria . I also add my thanks to the otrganisers- such events don't organise themsekves but take a lot of hard work.

Great to meet so many people with some old and new friends. I now have a memory full of faces, user names and real names "but not necessarily in the right order" .

I also have a new chair (thanks Steve) and a 6" refractor (thanks Stu) so looking for more clear skies. 

Kerry 

• Like 5

Hi Bob,

I saw Neil at Tring on the way home, I will PM you later.

==================================

Hi Julian,

Thanks a million for all the help both delicate and brutish....

Watch out for some new features in SharpCap....

==================================

And finally,

A Big Big Thanks to the organisers, you achieve the impossible year after year and still come back for more!!!!

I am glad to be home as a full English Breakfast everyday was putting on weigh on at an alarming rate, now I am on porridge again.

Trust you all got home safely.

Cheers

Adrian

Got back to Cardiff safely yesterday afternoon.

I had a great time and on Sunday night managed to some more subs of the Leo triplet to add to the ones I got on Wednesday.

A big thanks to Daz, Grant, FLO et al. for organising this wonderful event. Thanks to Uranium (Rob) for the image processing tutorial. 

Also, thanks to Mike Morris for organising the Quiz - I just have one point to make on one of the questions - Everyone knows that The Clangers are Science Fact. The BBC made  lots of 5 minute documentaries about their lives. I used to watch these every evening as a child just before the News. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

Hi Julian,

Trust you have managed to pack everything into the car if you are leaving today.

I went to see Neil at Tring Astronomy today with my Herschel Wedge....

He managed to release the adapter from the 2" Baader Ring. The little screw or nut is not meant to be movable as it is glued in and is there to make the Lock/Release mechanism easier to move.

Actually, the 2" Baader adapter appears to be the same one that is used on SCTs.

So drilling the remainder of the screw out and gluing in a new screw is the way forward.

Thanks for the software guide, I plan to load up the latest releases....

Cheers

Adrian

Just cobbled up a video of the event, cant wait till the next one thanks again guys.

• Like 21

Nice to catch up with old friends again and make some new ones.

A couple of apologies; First to everyone that wanted a look through the Dob. I should have checked my dew bands actually worked before coming.....doh! :BangHead: and second to everyone wanting to savour some Romanian Palinca (rocket fuel), that one was out of my hands.

Next time........ :drunken_smilie:

Thanks to John for the tog advice and loan of the camera and lenses.......I think, (my poor wallet.....again). And special thanks to Mike (faulksy) for the coat and head torch ;):D 
See you all at the next one :) 

• Like 5

That's a belter @tich. thanks for posting it up so soon 

Great video, Tich, thanks for putting in the effort .

Allan

• Like 1

i really wish there was a september version, 12 months is way too long too wait.

• Like 1

Just a quick thankyou to some great people for blowing my mind away and forcing me to buy many new toys 😊 havnt decided what yet but hey. Cheers ColinD & KerryLewis & Tich & Mr landrover man (sorry im Rubbish i no) Mrs Ed says hi also. And iv just seen myself in Tichs video so that it im on a diet! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tich said:

Just cobbled up a video of the event, cant wait till the next one thanks again guys.

A nice ballanced mix of scopes and food... 😊

Edited by ed1808
Ooops looks like i knicked tichs vid wasnt my intention
  • Like 1

Yes Adrian, It took me longer than I expected to pack the car, (why do I go back with more than I came with ???), but hey ho! back home now...

A Massive thanks to Daz, Grant & FLO, for organising a great event (where was FLO's cloud buster gun ?), but the skies aren't everything, but having said that (just to make you jealous) last night was superb :)

It was wonderful to meet everyone, even if the post curry quiz was fixed (27 in deed)...

Thank you all, & I look forward to SGL11.5 maybe.

• Like 1

Nice vid, but we need to negotiate image rights payments....

We can accept cuppas and jaffa cakes!

1 hour ago, ed1808 said:

Just a quick thankyou to some great people for blowing my mind away and forcing me to buy many new toys 😊 havnt decided what yet but hey. Cheers ColinD & KerryLewis & Tich & Mr landrover man (sorry im Rubbish i no) Mrs Ed says hi also. And iv just seen myself in Tichs video so that it im on a diet! 

Nice meeting you both hope you can make the next one unfortunately the images I took on the last night were rubbish so in the bin they went I'm afraid. I think you were referring to Steve as Mr Landrover Man although I still don't know his SGL username lol.

Next time you get that refractor out Kerry for a spot of planetary then please don't be shy & give me a shout as I'm only 10 minutes away,  I'm still blown away by the view of Jupiter you were getting with it the details were spectacular.

Many thanks to the organisers and participants at this year star party - I thoroughly enjoyed it and staying Sunday night was definitely the right decision.

In particular my neighbour Nick (cotterless45) was brilliant as my mentor and helped in many ways, he provided me with 8 x A4 pages of notes for me to go away and study to further improve my skills and knowledge. (He did drink most of my malt whisky and beer though!!!)

Looking forward to 2017 already.

• Like 2

Nice video Tich. I'm slightly relieved that you didn't do a time lapse of the full English disappearing mouthful by mouthful 😱😱

• Like 2

Think I had to many brekkies Stu might need to lose a pound or more lol

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tich said:

Think I had to many brekkies Stu might need to lose a pound or more lol

I escaped with only having had two, very nice though 👍👍. I won't mention the two Lucksall burgers as well! 😱😱

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I escaped with only having had two, very nice though 👍👍. I won't mention the two Lucksall burgers as well! 😱😱

The Lucksall burgers were awesome!!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tich said:

The Lucksall burgers were awesome!!

Yep, I can confirm that 😀👍

• Like 2