SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL XI Chit Chat

daz

Tonight has been the best night of the week.  Relatively warm, excellent seeing - no scintillation and wall to wall stars.   The trans parenchyma was a bit lower than Wednesday but I don't think that caused any problems.   The moon set late which did have an effect, but even so, there was still plenty to see.

off to sleepy land for me as I have that long drive in the morning.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warming up with a cuppa before bed. Mag 21.3 skies, seeing not bad but transparency not brilliant. Still, plenty of galaxies and other objects seen, plus a very nice GRS transit. Best night of the 4 for me, great stuff.

5 hours ago, miafey said:

I'm back home now from my first camping & star party!! It was brilliant, even though the sky was cloudy... I did manage to see the moon last night through my scope for like 30 seconds and as soon as I switched my laptop on the cloud took over again.... I know... I need a new laptop!!

Everyone there was ever so friendly and the hogroast (and the potato salad) was the best I've ever had. Special thanks to two gentlemen who helped me putting up my tent! (I know one is Tich, never got the name of the other gentlman though he was just two tents away from me - sorry!) And to Andrian who helped me to take it down :icon_biggrin: With all the advice and tips I got before the event I stayed cosy and warm in Lucksall - depending on how you look at it, it's either a complete success or a complete failure for a first-time camper...

I'd like to thank everyone who made me feel welcomed. And it was great to put faces to names - Andy, Uranium 235, Paul, Dr Ju Ju, Sarah...and I enjoyed the talk about video astronomy. 

Already looking foward to the next one!

The other chap would have been Derek DRT who helped with the tent, glad you enjoyed the event & hope you can make the next one.

Back home, took 2 hours to unpack the observing gear in the car  and the camping stuff in the trailer. Many thanks to Daz and everyone who attended for making this a memorable and exciting event. It was a pleasure to meet so many helpful and knowledgeable folk. Those who stayed last night had a rare treat !

As for posting observations, just don't know where to start.

Clear skies !

Nick.

Thanks to the organisers for another great SGL. Good to meet up with old friends and new. Glad we decided to say for Sunday, best skies of the week. Looking forward to the next one. 
Mick & Jill

Another very enjoyable SGL star party. Stayed Sunday night and it was well worth it from the very colourful sunset to the clear night sky that followed. Good to catch up with people I've met over the last few years, learning some new things about astronomy and long exposure viking burning photography. Came home with a lot of my beer untouched - the cafe's This and Wotever Next slid down very easily. Many thanks to the organisers, looking forward to the next one.

Allan

Back home, dob unpacked. A big thank you to everyone who made SGL 11 happen. It was great to catch up with some familiar faces, I especially liked meeting a few more of the solar gang for the first time. We didn't get around to seeing a few others like Stu who looked like he was doing something very delicate with a massive frac at the time!

It was lovely to share some views with some first time SGLers. I hope you got some views to remember or some pointers if you weren't lucky to catch some gaps, I will never forget seeing M13 in a big scope for the first time (RobH's 14 inch SCT). Thanks to Stephen for metioning M3, we'd forgotten about that one!

I hope the viking guy is okay! :grin:

Any clear sky is always a bonus, we got lucky on Sunday night, a shame it couldn't have come a day earlier. Jupiter was fantastic for a while! It was good to get some of that stable seeing that we rarely get at home.

Back home safe and sound, only took 5 hours, took 6 to get there, commiserations to those who had to go home Sunday as last night was cracking.

Nice to catch up with a few folk, sorry I missed a few others.

Thanks to Shaun for the look through his IS bins, encouraging me to spend more money, and to Rob for the persevering with the numpties on his NB imaging talk :)

Looking good here for tonight so may have to have two nights in a row :eek:

Dave

Some may have noticed I was unable to make SGLX1 except for a few hours on Saturday when I meet up with a few old friends just to say hello.

For those who are aware, Cath got the all Clear   today with the best results she could have hoped for. 

For those who are going I'll see you at Pencelli, Brecon in October, I got some stargazing to catch up with. 

Thanks to all the people who made it possible. Didn't get any clear skies other than the haze on Friday, although still worth going. Unfortunately I seem to have developed a nasty cold, but hopefully it'll pass. Looking forward to the next one already!

24 minutes ago, Freff said:

Some may have noticed I was unable to make SGLX1 except for a few hours on Saturday when I meet up with a few old friends just to say hello.

For those who are aware, Cath got the all Clear   today with the best results she could have hoped for. 

For those who are going I'll see you at Pencelli, Brecon in October, I got some stargazing to catch up with. 

That's great news Tony glad all is well.
Haven't long been home myself as I decided to come back a day early, it seemed to take an age to get everything packed, mind you with only 4 hours sleep it's hardly surprising. All over too soon again & I can't wait for the next one. It was great catching up with friends old & new, last night was the best we had & the detail I were seeing on Jupiter was breathtaking through that 6" frac, the view with my 6" SCT wasn't half bad either. Even the imaging side of things went smoother than expected so no spitting my dummy out the pram lol.

Big thanks to all who organized the event definitely another SGL success.

A big thanks to Daz, Grant and everyone else who contributed to organising a great event.

As ever this proved to be more about getting to know people and their interests rather than pointing expensive things at the sky and I think I have convinced myself that I don't need to bring 10 telescopes next year :lol:

Roll on SGL XII :cool:

We arrived home in great time and it was nice to look forward to a long bath!

My girlfriend really enoyed it and is already looking forwards to the next one (hurrah!).

Nice to see familiar old faces (Hayd'n, Dave) and nice to spend some time with new - Stephen, Alan, Carole, Ally, Will, Bex (boys from the dwarf!) and Poppy the bacon loving cuddle-dog!

Thanks to Mark for being our Human Goto and compliments he paid to the Sumerian, which was turning out to be a little celebrity in the end.

Thanks to Tim for some good views in his 18".

Good to have spent some time helping others too.

Thanks to Stephen for lending me his Nagler 31mm, looks like I have to spend some cash again!

Weather was not surprisingly, completely opposite to all reports, but last night was excellent once the moon set. To see some fantastic targets in the Sumerian was brilliant (triplet, M51, M101, M3, M13, M44, Dragonfly)

Photos and timelapse to follow.

Thanks to the organisers, looking forwards to the next one.

Finally thanks to Hels for giving up her birthday to come and sit with a load of geeks for a few days (she did actually enjoy the bins with help from Colin).

1 hour ago, Freff said:

Great News Tony, send Cath my best wishes.

13 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Thanks to all for a splendid weekend. 

Glad that the sky cleared for Sunday.

I now have the overwhelming urge to build my own Dob.......

Paul

Or perhaps buy yourself a new tent? :lol:

Had a great time at Lucksall, it was nice that it was reasonable day time weather and no rain and of course we got that lovely clear Sunday night.  

Well done to the organisers.  Pretty tired after the long drive back to Kent, so will process the two images I managed to get last night in the next few days, hope they came out OK.

Whilst I understand the need to move pitches around it would have been nice to have been provided with a new pitch plan (by Lucksall) as it was impossible to find where people were despite me doing a personal trip around the field with the pitch plan and amending it.  So there were a few people I wanted to meet that I annoyingly missed.

However lovely to meet some new and some old acquaintances, and I came back with a extra unplanned telescope - watch this space!!

Carole 

It was a pleasure for me, Shabbir and Minhaal to meet so many people, get so much advice, help and tips! It really was an awesome event!

A massive thank you to Grant, Daz and all the organisers of the event and all those who gave me their advice on my dob.

A special thanks to Nick (Cotterless45) for your notes, the book and all the advice! A special thanks to Daz for the tutorial! I hope to give it a go very soon!

Hoping to make the next SGL event and to see you all again!

Thanks again!

Archived