Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL XI Chit Chat

daz

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very fed up reading some of the posts here, all you lucky folk heading off to Lucksall this week. Unfortunately I can't make it because of the day job, but I'll be there in spirit. Have a wonderful week all, whatever the weather.

Gav.

Help! Does anyone know a shop on the way from Bristol to Lucksall where I would be lucky enough to be able to buy a EQDIR cable please?

Can't find mine :(

(Or anyone has a spare one which I could borrow/buy...)

Well my highlight so far was watching ngc6503 at high power in a 16 inch scope with high quality optics....thanks Jamesk. As someone who has kept weather records for many years I can tell you that this sort of weather makes it difficult to forecast cloud cover...last night cleared a bit at times as expected. We are now in a ridge of high pressure between the two high pressure systems and have a cloud free slot...some great solar views today..very hard to forecast tonight or tommorrow night yet but there is certainly a good chance of some viewing. Watch the satellite pics of the cloud over Ireland as it tries to edge towards us. I suggest we all blow in the direction of the river at SGL XI. Mark

tmp_26548-n6503block-788342970.thumb.jpg

This is the galaxy we looked at...in Jamesk scope the stars were as sharp as in this image using a 4.7mm es eyepiece giving over 350+ magnification. It's a super galaxy in Draco on the edge of the local void. Have a go yourself tonight. It's above that wooded hill. Mark

On 08/03/2016 at 15:55, faulksy said:

just a thought guys/gals. if anyone is after a cover for there scopes i have just bought a brilliant one from halfords. its nice and soft, heat reflective and doesnt allow condensation to build up

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-all-weather-multi-bike-cover

and a smaller one

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-all-weather-single-bike-cover

just a thought so you can leave them out all day and night :happy7:

Can you ask the dob mob to reverse polarity on their fans during the day please Mark. That way, there's a chance they will hoover the clouds up :icon_biggrin:

Some nice views last night, nothing amazing but still good to get some observing in. M51 and M101, M36, 37 & 38. Also M97 and 108.

Good views of Jupiter later on. Seeing was very iffy to start but stabilised after a while. Stayed clear until I could just see the GRS peeking round the corner.

Looks good for some solar today.

6 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

anyone bringing binoviewers for solar? would be interested in a peek (especially if I can use them in my own scopes for a bit).

I've got mine here Shane, getting some nice views today. Welcome to borrow them for a while

9 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Nice one buddy. I will take you up on that for sure. Might be a mistake......

Surprisingly good views today, granulation very clear. I think I'm getting used to the binoviewers :).

Well given it was a bit 'milky' last night didn't get much in the way of imaging done but I did get to try out the home made AllSky camera for testing ;) 

Not exactly the most exciting video in the world (bar a couple of aeroplanes and the odd satellite) but I'm pleased it worked!

Cheers

Will 

might not be the most reliable of covers, but I just got one of thesehttp://www.poundland.co.uk/my-cycle-bicycle-cover-2m. from pound land. Feels very thin and only covers the top of my scopes, but after running it under a tap for a while it held pretty well. Just in case anyone's on a budget. I won't be using it if there's rain forecast, I'm not sure I trust it that much yet.

Archived