Narrowband

Wakefield and District Astronomical Society (WADAS) Events page

Soupy

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but I've just got home from work and it is very windy and raining quite heavy in Horbury at the minute. I probably have about 70% cloud cover, but hoping it will clear before 9pm. Just deciding what I am going to do with regards loading my car up. Got the mount in, and my scope is in the lounge. Think I might play it by ear after the meeting as I have promised to call home to pick Luke up if we are going viewing anyway :)

Looking slightly patchy but not to bad really now. Should be ok for a bit of casual observing. Also the wind is blowing east so by my reckoning there should be adequate shelter next to the changing rooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget we have Dr Julian Onions this Thursday giving a talk on Astrophysics for Dummies! 7.30 at Horbury Academy WF4 5HE

Curry afterwards at the Cinnamon Lounge, but please reply to the society email if you are coming as I have to confirm numbers. There is some flexibility for last minute changing of minds, but it's good to let them know so they can get some family naans in! Oh and maybe some chops too ;)

Apologies but I have no email for Adam, Kevin or Pablo as yet so please PM me here if you're up for curry after the meeting :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a confirmation that tomorrow's meeting (Thursday 18th February) will be a casual meeting with no set agenda.

Feel free to bring along any scopes or other equipment that you have a problem or query with and we'll do our best to assist and resolve any issues.

A couple of members will bring along a selection of books on astronomy and AP if anyone would like to browse through these.

There may also be a couple of laptops available to look at some basic processing, which Matt has kindly offered to show anyone who has an interest in this.

It will be a good opportunity to chat to other members of the group and find out what everyone has been up to, and have a bit of a catch up.

7.30pm at Horbury Academy as usual - hopefully see you there :)

I'll be along at about 8:15 with my scope, I think I sorted the collimation but will be good to get it checked out. Would someone also be able to give me a hand cleaning my eyepieces? Took a photo of them to sell to fund an upgrade and they look a bit dirty.

Thanks

DSC06984.thumb.JPG.fe37067b4cb4bebad3938

Hi everyone ?

Sorry but this thread gone on a few thousand pages since I last looked. I'm sorry I've not interacted with you all but just not had time due to being so busy with work. I've seen a few of you post on FB but for some reason I've not been able to get on SGL due to breaking my iPhone and not nowing my password on the app am still un-sure how I've managed to get on this page now. 

Anyways hope your all ok if this posts as not quite sure it will I've noticed I've been removed from a few things within the society. Obviously due to the lack of my communication, well please accept my apologies as things have not been easy recently  and I do struggle now to make meeting's. Please accept my apologies and I'll try to keep an eye on the thread when possible but it does seem to go too fast for eye at the min. Sincere apologies to one and all. 

Kieran. 

(Astrononomer69)

⭐️⭐️⭐️?? 

clear skies!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Astronomer69 said:

Hi everyone ?

Sorry but this thread gone on a few thousand pages since I last looked. I'm sorry I've not interacted with you all but just not had time due to being so busy with work. I've seen a few of you post on FB but for some reason I've not been able to get on SGL due to breaking my iPhone and not nowing my password on the app am still un-sure how I've managed to get on this page now. 

Anyways hope your all ok if this posts as not quite sure it will I've noticed I've been removed from a few things within the society. Obviously due to the lack of my communication, well please accept my apologies as things have not been easy recently  and I do struggle now to make meeting's. Please accept my apologies and I'll try to keep an eye on the thread when possible but it does seem to go too fast for eye at the min. Sincere apologies to one and all. 

Kieran. 

(Astrononomer69)

⭐️⭐️⭐️?? 

clear skies!!!!!!

Hello Kieran,

Nice to hear from you buddy and hopefully all is calming down and o.k.

The thread does move on at quite a pace and many things are discussed (mainly camping gear at present!!!!) so it is very difficult for even the most avid SGL'er to keep up.

Things have also changed in the society with myself becoming the treasurer and Vicky B becoming the secretary. Soupy still does a fine job of chairing the society as well as opening the meetings in his usual enjoyable and enthusiastic teacher type style :headbang:

I'm sure you will have had an email detailing your membership of the society but if it has been lost your renewal was up on the 16/10/2015. I know you've been out of communication for a while so just let me know if you would like to become an active member again. I know it's difficult getting to the meetings for you so no worries if you just want to pop onto the thread from time to time and contribute here.

And the many apologies are welcome and accepted

P.s. on another note I've finished my scope bar a few little tweaks :hello:

Just to add this is the events page Kieran so please search for the other WADAS thread for general chit chat and discussion 

There's not much more to say that Damian hasn't already seid. It's nice to read ur comments Kieran and you have to do what's best for you and ur family. So keep posting we will all read ur posts and comment on them I'm sure. Keep safe and see you soon I hope 

ps there's  no need to apologise ??

13 hours ago, rockystar said:

I'll be along at about 8:15 with my scope, I think I sorted the collimation but will be good to get it checked out. Would someone also be able to give me a hand cleaning my eyepieces? Took a photo of them to sell to fund an upgrade and they look a bit dirty.

Thanks

DSC06984.thumb.JPG.fe37067b4cb4bebad3938

It'll be good to see you Lee. I'll give other members a shout to see if anyone can bring some lens cleaning gear with them tonight. See you there :)

If it is a clear evening, does anyone fancy popping out after the meeting to do bit of viewing? The moon will be bright, but it might be an opportunity to get our scopes out. I'm not sure what I'll be doing myself with it being Luke's birthday, and I'll only get to see him when he joins us in the meeting at 8pm. He may want to go straight home afterwards and have his birthday cards. Just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone would like to do a bit of viewing after, or if people would rather go to the pub :)

Archived