SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wakefield and District Astronomical Society (WADAS) Events page

Soupy

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Next meeting this Thursday. Richard Darn "In search of Dark Skies"

pretty topical with the light pollution petition we have all been signing. Usual time 7.30 usual place.

see you there.

2 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Next meeting this Thursday. Richard Darn "In search of Dark Skies"

pretty topical with the light pollution petition we have all been signing. Usual time 7.30 usual place.

see you there.

Be nice to see Richard again

Don't forget it is our meeting this Thursday at 7.30pm at Horbury Academy. This month we give a warm welcome to our guest speaker Richard Darn who will be giving his talk entitled "In Search of Dark Skies". This is very topical given the light pollution petition many of us have signed and promoted recently. Look forward to seeing as many of you there as possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that it is the Horbury Show tomorrow, Sunday 26th June, from 11am to 4.30pm. We will have solar telescopes to show the public our nearest star. We also have solar glasses, diffraction gratings to show how visible light works and a meteorite so you can hold something that is older than the Earth itself. If any of our members are available to help man the stall for an hour or so during the day please let me know :)

Hello all

Tonight we are heading for our usual spot of winscar reservoir small carpark to view the wonders of the universe.

All welcome at around 22:30 subject to the usual british weather.

Will keep everyone posted on here and hopefully others will do the same. 

Tonight's weather according to met check

sat1st.png

Sunset slated for 21:38. The Moon (DLB devils light bulb) rise's at 3:19am so well out of the way. Wind speed could be a factor at 11-12mph but at least it is decreasing during the day. 

Saturn is well placed hanging about in Scorpius and Mars in Libra so with a clear southern horizon there may be some nice views to be had.

Sagitarius will be just visible on the southern horizon and Scutum/Ophiuchus making for lot's of very nice targets. Lagoon Eagle Trifid and Omega nebula's should be on the list for viewing and imaging.

Pegasus is also on the rise and by 1am should be well positioned in the sky to view such delights as M15 the great pegasus globular cluster, a group of galaxies called Stephans Quintet and close by a personal galaxy favourite NGC7331. Not forgetting our nearest galactic neighbours Andromeda (M31 NGC224) and Triangulum (M33 NGC598).

The usual suspects of M57 (ring nebula) and M27 (Dumbbell) will be high in the skies by then and should be easily view able.

Fingers crossed, I shall keep you all posted.  

7 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hello all

Tonight we are heading for our usual spot of winscar reservoir small carpark to view the wonders of the universe.

All welcome at around 22:30 subject to the usual british weather.

Will keep everyone posted on here and hopefully others will do the same. 

Just going to load up now Damian

eric

According to metcheck the weather still is o.k. BBC on the other hand has it cloudy. XC weather also has it clear. At present I can see some heavy clouds out that way so hope they are going to clear

I think I will be heading up shortly but the sunset time is at 21:38 so darkness wont fall for quite some time after. Thin I'll aim for 10 to halfpast 

16 minutes ago, mapstar said:

According to metcheck the weather still is o.k. BBC on the other hand has it cloudy. XC weather also has it clear. At present I can see some heavy clouds out that way so hope they are going to clear

I think I will be heading up shortly but the sunset time is at 21:38 so darkness wont fall for quite some time after. Thin I'll aim for 10 to halfpast 

See you there at around 10pm

eric

Just in although a below par viewing night with serious darkness not quite appearing before cloud decided to force an early trip home.

Great to see Neil , Eric, Lee and new face Richard up there.

Caught some targets but without darkness behind them the contrast wasn't too good.

Good to get out for us all and the company was excellent as always 

6 hours ago, mapstar said:

Just in although a below par viewing night with serious darkness not quite appearing before cloud decided to force an early trip home.

Great to see Neil , Eric, Lee and new face Richard up there.

Caught some targets but without darkness behind them the contrast wasn't too good.

Good to get out for us all and the company was excellent as always 

I'll second that

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

yep, was really good to get out and finally see Damian's scope in action. M15 was amazing, but the galaxies were not helped by the lack of darkness - especially the one that wasn't there ;)

Aaaaah Mirach's Ghost (NGC404) it was there but hard to spot. 

M15 showed lots of detail and probably the best object all night. NGC 7331 was easy to see as was Andromeda and its satellites.

Darkness was around 2am but we were all home by that time.We shall have to set our sights on August when the darkness has come forward more.

Midge spray at the ready though at that time of year :happy7:

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I have arranged an alternative speaker for tonight's meeting.

Susan Leonard LRPS is coming to give us her talk/slide show on photographing the aurora. Sue is my brother's mother-in-law, and I had originally invited her to come along to see Lee's talk as she does photography courses on cruise ship holidays. When she learned that Lee was unable to come she kindly offered to do a short talk for us which includes a slide show of images taken during a recent cruise to Iceland to photograph the aurora. Her talk lasts for approximately 45 minutes, so there will be time afterwards if anyone has anything else they would like to discuss or needs help and advice with. Hopefully see a few of you there :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hope the meeting went well and sorry I missed it.

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone at the next meeting if not before.

I have several memberships that have been paid in my absence so I  will update the list at the earliest opportunity.

Archived