SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

15 Hours on the great Andromeda galaxy

toxic

not there yet but i think this is more or less what you mentioned using the rgb on its own without "L" for the core and using luminance for the rest.i dont think i can get anymore of the outer glow due to my sky conditions but you never know unless you try.i will get more -L-and HA in the future thanks for the tips Olly.

before

post-12098-0-76687600-1444258460_thumb.j

after your advice Olly

post-12098-0-67992400-1444258406_thumb.j

thanks again

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will just put [emoji4]. Cant find the right words. The kind of image that sets the standard, and a few years ago would have been unthought off by an amateur.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

I know I'm in the minority with this but I actually prefer some targets with a very bright core as the expense of losing some detail so I prefer your first image. A slightly blown out core gives a sense of the dynamic range, it is more vibrant. When we take daytime photos which include the sun we tend to leave in the glare rather than layering it out! It's purely aesthetic and personal, I know most people prefer a more detailed, controlled image.

Can I ask how many nights viewing you took this/these over?

Was the second image just a reprocessing of the original images or did you need to re-capture?

(sorry for any ignorance, I don't know anything about imaging - yet - but I do find them fascinating, and amazing that we no longer need $2.5b space telescopes to produce such awesome photos)

I know I'm in the minority with this but I actually prefer some targets with a very bright core as the expense of losing some detail so I prefer your first image. A slightly blown out core gives a sense of the dynamic range, it is more vibrant. When we take daytime photos which include the sun we tend to leave in the glare rather than layering it out! It's purely aesthetic and personal, I know most people prefer a more detailed, controlled image.

Good point, well made.

Both images are really nice but I also prefer the first. The second, although showing more detail in the core, now seems a little flat. However, I do prefer the less saturated blue outer arms in the second. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that  :smiley:

Whatever, there's no denying this is a great capture, well done!

Regards

John

hi Rockystar it was over 6 nights over the space of about 5 weeks just acouple of hours at a time. ad it is the same data just left out the short luminance files on the second one (with great hints and advice from a well known image'r Olly)

Archived