Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Spring Gathering 2016.

Hi guys hope the weather is being kind and maybe even some clear skies tonight! I will be setting off at about 9:30 tomorrow morning so should be with you for around 13:30 to 14:00. Looking forward to seeing you and some dare I say it clear skies. Due to a very sore back and housing it in an Observatory I am leaving my 12" newt at home and working with much smaller wide field eqt. 

See you all tomorrow

Mike

Here'san image an image of M97 taken about 2 weeks ago during the clear as always full moon. Taken in Ha OIII 3x10 min sub's in each filter.

M97Ha_OIII.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All mixed conditions to night but at least the wind died down to afford very good views of the superb Galloway skies,made all the more intriguing with Damians newly commissioned 22" behemoth of a dob,superb to say the least.

Safe journey to all,

Regards

Mike

Hi folks, 

Bit last minute as I've been really busy but me and and Daniel are going to make it for a couple of nights. 

Just finishing a bottle rocket workshop at a school in Kilwining so should just about make it on site before dark today. ?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Phil,

Trust you are all still alive....... ( no news from anybody at the site for over 48 hours....)

Just to let you know that my Manfrotto head has been repaired by Manfrotto. They replaced the white disk because the raised bits were worn down.

I also got some grub screws to attach everything up.

I hope to meet up with Mike next week at Glanton Northumberland.

It is very cold down here, trust you get brilliant clear skies for the remainder of the party.

Cheers

Adrian

Hello all,yes were are all still here we have been busy with running repairs and getting lost in the views from Damian`s work of art 22"Dob,well and truly observed through,M42 nebulosity appeared 3D, it is altogether a lovely scope.M51`s spiral arms very well defined,Leo  triplet easy and Jupiter`s red spot and bands were well colored

Weather has and is not behaving ,very cold dry but windy,busy tasting a nice Japanese whiskey. Clouds are coming and staying!

Had a surprise visit from Steve Gray and his son,stayed for two nights,and a visit from Jim and Dawn,so all in we have a good crowd in attendance.

If we get any decent clear skies i will post.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just because the Scottish whisk(e)y experts (Derek and myself) are fortunate enough to be absent while you allow the drinking of Japanese coolant, we will need to re-introduce proper tasting sessions of the smooth malts at the next Galloway Star Party.

On BBC1 this morning, snow showers are predicted for the South West of Scotland and North East of England on Monday and Tuesday, so there is a God willing to punish those who abuse the golden liquid......

Hope you get clear skies to keep you lot away from foreign coolant!

Cheers

Adrian

Hope you guys had a great event, so jealous I'm missing this. I had a wee drive on Saturday 13th to Keith (way up north) - on the way back driving down the A9 I had to pull over, it was -9 degrees and sky was exceptional - just stood beside the car for a couple of minutes looking up near Dalwhinnie, the view was amazing. Hope the weather played ball for you all, and from what I have heard, Damian's scope was jaw dropping. :icon_biggrin: Hope to make the winter event.

David

I really enjoyed the star party. It's so good to listen to advice from such knowledgeable people! Thanks again to Mike for arranging it. Here's a pic from Tuesday night combined with a couple more subs from a trip to Mallaig on Friday.

horseheads.jpg

(8 x 15 min subs using Takahashi FSQ106ED, NEQ6, Starlight Xpress H35 mono with red filter. No flats or darks). It's time to get the books out and learn more about processing and getting decent flats.

I hope that you all had better weather after I left - tonight looks very promising.

And here's a li'l startrail shot from the same night, looking towards Newton Stewart. This view is horizon to horizon - hence the lack of startrails at the top of the pic...

Galloway Startrailss.jpg

520 x 16 sec photos @ F4.0 ISO 1600 -  Canon 5D Mk2 with EF 8-15mm L fisheye lens.

Hi David,

I agree the views of the sky and mountains in the Dalwhinnie area can be brilliant. I have climbed all the mountains in that area. There was snow on the top of Ben Alder in June!!!

I missed the Galloway party as well, must try and get up there in the Autumn.

Trust you are keeping in the best of health.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Mike,

Just to let you know, it has snowed here in Glanton last evening. I am hoping to get to Alnwick but it is very slippy outside, so be careful, will contact you later.

Have a safe trip home.

Adrian

Just home and car unpacked.

Enjoyable trip again and last night was amazing. Couldn't believe the skies.

Out from 7pm to just gone 4am so one very tired fella although I think I may have dropped a dangler and not booked tonight off! 

Viewing report to follow.

15 hours ago, Physopto said:

Aye, Mike said you were looking at the moon a bit last night :evil4: and thought the views incredible. How are the optics now?

Derek

Yes  I had a quick look at the moon just to pacify Mike ?

Optics are still not quite there Derek so I'm going to look into it a bit further.

Archived