Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius ( Messier 17, NGC 6618 )

MikeODay

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius - by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/mikeoday )

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius ( Messier 17, NGC 6618 ).

Visible to the naked eye the Omega Nebula, also known as the Swan, Horseshoe or Lobster Nebula, M17 is in the Milkyway and is aound 4200 light years distance from Earth

Links:

500px.com/MikeODay

photo.net/photos/MikeODay

Details:

RA 18h 22m, Dec -16deg 10'.

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.

Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount

Orion Short Tube 80mm guide scope and auto guider - PHD2.

Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, UHC-S 'nebula' filter.

Nikon D5300 (unmodified).

Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.

37 x 100 sec ISO800.

Pixinsight & Photoshop

14 August 2015 - processed 3 Oct 2015

Thanks Gino, you are very kind.

I purchased the Baader UHC-S 'nebula' filter about a year ago when I was just staring out - I live in moderately light polluted skies and my main targets are nebulae so it seemed a good idea. Beyond that I really know very little about the relative performance of the different types of filters. I have been very happy with the images I have made with it but it does have a couple of downsides - quite strong colour shift ( that I try to correct in Pixinsight before I stretch the image) and it is highly reflective ( which seems to contribute to a bright disk around the very bright stars (eg. around Alnitak in http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/251987-flame-and-horsehead-nebulae-near-alnitak-in-orion-re-processed/)).

I'm sure others who are more experienced than me would be able to provide more detailed feedback.

Cheers, Mike

Archived