Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

MikeODay

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius ( Messier 17, NGC 6618 )

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius - by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/mikeoday )

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius ( Messier 17, NGC 6618 ).

Visible to the naked eye the Omega Nebula, also known as the Swan, Horseshoe or Lobster Nebula, M17 is in the Milkyway and is aound 4200 light years distance from Earth

Links:

500px.com/MikeODay

photo.net/photos/MikeODay

Details:

RA 18h 22m, Dec -16deg 10'.

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.

Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount

Orion Short Tube 80mm guide scope and auto guider - PHD2.

Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, UHC-S 'nebula' filter.

Nikon D5300 (unmodified).

Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.

37 x 100 sec ISO800.

Pixinsight & Photoshop

14 August 2015 - processed 3 Oct 2015

• Like 5

hi mate, all i can is WOW! amazing picture. I have a D5100 and could only dream of taking a photo like this! whats the UHC-S filter like? I use a LP filter but may get the one you have if you recommend it.

• Like 1

Thanks Gino, you are very kind.

I purchased the Baader UHC-S 'nebula' filter about a year ago when I was just staring out - I live in moderately light polluted skies and my main targets are nebulae so it seemed a good idea. Beyond that I really know very little about the relative performance of the different types of filters. I have been very happy with the images I have made with it but it does have a couple of downsides - quite strong colour shift ( that I try to correct in Pixinsight before I stretch the image) and it is highly reflective ( which seems to contribute to a bright disk around the very bright stars (eg. around Alnitak in http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/251987-flame-and-horsehead-nebulae-near-alnitak-in-orion-re-processed/)).

I'm sure others who are more experienced than me would be able to provide more detailed feedback.

Cheers, Mike

Very nice images. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Reprocessed - I've tried to improve the colour balance - slightly toned down the red and tweaked the green. I think it is an improvement, what do you think?

Omega Nebula in Sagittarius - by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/MikeODay )

Cheers

Mike

I like that Mike, it really pops........ great processing for sure :)

• Like 1

I like that Mike, it really pops........ great processing for sure :)

Thanks Sara, much appreciated.

Your photos on Flickr are wonderful ...

Edited by mike005

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Emilio
      Hello all,
      I'm new to this forum and astrophotography, and observing for that matter!
      I've been observing for a few weeks now, well, when the clouds allow, obviously! I thought I'd dip my toe in the water as far as imaging goes, but didn't want to go nuts in terms of budget. As luck would have it I managed to get hold of a Canon 1100D on eBay complete with full spectrum mod for £129, which seemed pretty reasonable to me given the cost of the modification on its own. The camera is in great condition and seems to work fine, however I have a couple of queries that I hope you more experienced peeps can help with.
      Firstly I would like to get an OWB filter and wondered if anyone had an opinion on Optolong vs Astronomik? Astronomic are a lot more expensive so if the Optolong does a good job why spend extra?
      Second, and more importantly, I have questions about auto focus. It seems that generally people say that if the IR/UV cut filter is completely removed then the camera will definitely lose the ability to auto focus (although some people say this isn't the case?). I checked with the eBay vendor and he confirmed that the in-built filter has been completely removed and no glass / filter replacement has been put back in place, which if my understanding is correct is what is required to retain auto focus. However, the camera seems to be auto focusing fine as far as I can tell.
      How can this be?
      Thanks.
    • By KateSheff
      Hiya, 
      I'm planning on getting a telescope for my son for Christmas (he'll be 6 by then). I want it to have some lasting potential and would rsther get a decent ish one so he can actually see things more clearly and retain his interest, although obv don't want to spend a fortune. However, we don't have a car, so in terms of opportunities to take advantage of dark skies, it would need to be portable. I was all set on the Skywatcher Heritage 150p and it seemed to tick so many boxes, and it kept getting tagged as very portable and great for travel, but I just noticed the weight is 7.5kg... so it may be portable compared to bigger ones, but I'm not sure about lugging it, a whole load of camping gear and two kids on a bus and a train! 
      Does anyone have any recommendations for anything similar spec-wise, where you can collimate both ends etc, that's also an easy set up and that's just a bit more lightweight?
      Thanks,
      Kate
    • By Matteoconti1292
      Hi to everyone, 
      I'm new in the world of the telescope and as my first telescope I bought an used Skywatcher 70/700 with supatrak mount and I hope that someone can help to understand the equipment I'll need to connect (cable, bluetooth or wi-fi add) my telescope mount to a Mac and control it by software like EQMac or Stellarium.
      Thanks
    • By hukay
      Bought this mount for a cheap price and I found out that there is something missing...maybe a gear???
      I need your expertise on where to get parts for my  mount or anyone who can 3D print the parts? 

• By lkimber
      I know it may be a bit of a long shot but I'm looking to buy a HEQ5 Pro mount or an NEQ6 Pro or something similar. Preferably belt driven but not necessary as can happily modify it. Please let me know if you have anything! Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.