Moonlite or lakeside focus motor?

I have recently upgraded my SW Equinox 80 with a Moonlite focusser. Great piece if kit, screw off the old and screw on the new 2 minute job all works perfectly. Easy fine focus on my Atik 460 with EFW filter wheel, a massive improvement on the manual wheel I had. No focus slip at all. Now I would like to move on to remote focussing as I move to a full remote system. I can't decide between the Moonlite stepper and the Lakeside focusser, both similar price ( ouch). I need a long cable since the scope sits in the garden away from the shed. The Moonlite has a clutch for manual operation which looks useful though the Lakeside has presets. I'm not a genius with software but suppose they both bring the same challenges. Any advice?

I've not used a Lakeside but I do have 2 Moonlites with motor focus. I have no complaints at all, very solidly built with no discernable backlash.

The SGP autofocus routine is wonderful, you'll never go back to manual.

I've got the Lakeside and have used it for several years without problem on several different scopes (you just buy a new adapter and bracket when you change the scope)

Mine runs on a Serial - USB adapter but I think the new ones are USB natively.

The service I've received from John(?) of Lakeside and his agent (Ian King) - both based in the UK - has been excellent.

I run my Lakeside through SGPro and as Matt has said - the autofocus routine is just brilliant.

Steve

Well I have a lakeside controller driving a moonlite stepper -- so you can combine both if you want! 

The moonlite stepper itself has not had a single problem in the past 4--5 years for fairly intensive operation (50-100 nights/year).  The moonlite stepper controller however developed an increasingly frequent problem with communincation dropping out and needing to be reset manually (pull out the USB lead and plug it in again  -- pretty inconvenient for a basically robotic observatory).  I think this was down to a dodgy joint somewhere in the power connector electronics, but I could never track it down.  I didn't bother going back to moonlite to see if they'd replace it, as we'd had the unit for 3--4 years by then.    I replaced the moonlite controller with a lakeside controller -- purely because it was easier to buy in the UK (in stock) and (I think) was a bit cheaper.   I'm very happy with it, and now the whole system runs very reliably.

The lakeside controller feels a bit more 'handmade' than the moonlite one. Don't take that as much of a criticism -- it works incredibly well and robustly, it just needs a few more manual configuration steps to set it up. The upside of that of course is that once you've got it configured correctly (and the 2 page long manual is all you need to do that), it runs robustly.

I'd certainly be happy to buy either again.

Archived