Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

JamesF

oalive "not really even alpha" release

This is for OSX, but bear with me whilst I explain...

Since Paul launched Lodestar Live onto an unsuspecting world I've been thinking "I want that for Linux".  I even knew I already had many of the bits I'd need thanks to the work I've done so far for oaCapture.  They needed plugging together in a slightly different way, but a lot of it was there.  So I threw the bits I wanted together and then went off to teach myself about how to do image registration and so on.  I'm getting there with that bit, but I don't have that code hooked up in a usable way quite yet.

My first reaction to the requests this week for support for more cameras in Starlight Live was one of sympathy for Paul.  People produce free software and make it all look kind of easy and then get requests for more, but actually it represents a huge investment of time.  For example, I've just done a new oaCapture release that supports (some) Point Grey GigE cameras.  Even given that I could use Point Grey's SDK (which is a bit ropey in the documentation department, but at least does most of the heavy lifting) I don't reckon I'd get much change out fifty hours in terms of the time it took me to do it.

Anyhow, over the last couple of evenings I've hacked my code about to cut it down to something that will actually compile and run.  This evening as I had a new release of a (real work) project to roll out which takes a few hours but isn't very interesting to watch, I've dropped it onto an Apple machine and got something that vaguely works there.

In theory, this works with any camera supported by oaCapture.  In practice it doesn't work with any camera that has a frame rate control as I've not worked out what long exposures really mean for sub-second frame rates yet.  I believe it will work with the ASI cameras and support the cooler controls when the cameras are available to buy.  It may work with the QHY5L-II (and perhaps even the QHY5), but I don't think it will work with the QHY5-II.  There's no way to save anything (other than a screen grab), no dark subtraction or any clever stuff like that.  Basically it just allows you to control the camera and do sum or mean stacking.  It's a toy.  A Christmas one, perhaps, that may not make it to the end of Boxing Day :)

Finally, my intention was to have this as an open-source Linux application alongside oaCapture.  Once I have it a bit more stable than a two-legged stool I will make the source available.  If there are people interested in having it on OSX in the future then I'll do that too.  If someone is desperate enough to want to put the time in to get it to build on Windows then I'll help as much as I can, but Windows really isn't my thing.

Download from http://www.openastroproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/oalive-0.0.1.dmg

James

• Like 2

Oh that's a really nice idea, especially if you get the registration working.

I'm not sure what I would use it on, I use a variety of OS now to get the most out of my setup so Linux or OSX apps are always welcome [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am working on it, though I have a few other things on my plate at the moment too.  I've added in support for more cameras and so on -- basically reversing a load of oacapture code into oalive, which has in fact picked up one or two bugs in oacapture :)  I'm also generating a nice long list of things to do so I'll have one for each project :D

James

Hi James

I have been following your software development for a while now, mostly because AstroIIDC is gone and your oaCapture is the only software that can replace it on the Mac platform.

Even more, your software supports some of the newer cameras on the Mac.  ;)

The oaLIve software is very interesting, since I am working on an "AllSky" cam that should run ideally on a Raspi2.

For first tests I will work with a Mac and have decided to go with a QHY5L-IIc as camera, on oaCapture I can get nice pictures by setting the exposure time high enough.

But for smooth background I would prefer to stack several images.

Your software would be an ideal base to automatically export stacked frames into Tiff or JPEG to display the sky condition on a webpage or to use it for public observatories.

best regards

Chris

I've just given this a bit of a test and it is working on Yosemite with my asi120mm.

I found the controls a little fiddly, it seemed best to stop it before making any changes otherwise it would take a long time. Typing numbers into the boxes seemed to work best.

I'm not sure what it means by absolute exposure or what the tick box does? I figured out 1" is 1000000 in that box though :)

The noise certainly melts away with the mean stacking!

Unfortunately since I was just doing a test run on my new pier I didn't actually target any fuzzies but faint stars seemed to show up ok.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi James

I have been following your software development for a while now, mostly because AstroIIDC is gone and your oaCapture is the only software that can replace it on the Mac platform.

Even more, your software supports some of the newer cameras on the Mac.   ;)

The oaLIve software is very interesting, since I am working on an "AllSky" cam that should run ideally on a Raspi2.

For first tests I will work with a Mac and have decided to go with a QHY5L-IIc as camera, on oaCapture I can get nice pictures by setting the exposure time high enough.

But for smooth background I would prefer to stack several images.

Your software would be an ideal base to automatically export stacked frames into Tiff or JPEG to display the sky condition on a webpage or to use it for public observatories.

best regards

Chris

Thank you for your comments :)

I'm continuing to work on this application, though slowly at the moment.  We're back into childrens' swimming competition season now autumn has arrived and many of my evenings and quite a few weekends have suddenly disappeared :)

I want an all-sky type application, but I'm not sure if it makes sense in the long term to use this application or create another with many of the same components (effectively what I did with oacapture to create this one).

I'm open to ideas for features though, so by all means do suggest things you think would be useful.

James

I've just given this a bit of a test and it is working on Yosemite with my asi120mm.

I found the controls a little fiddly, it seemed best to stop it before making any changes otherwise it would take a long time. Typing numbers into the boxes seemed to work best.

I'm not sure what it means by absolute exposure or what the tick box does? I figured out 1" is 1000000 in that box though :)

You're quite right.  The exposure time control is particularly horrible.  I have an item in my "todo" list to change that so you can choose the base units for the value (minutes, seconds or milliseconds, say) which should make it a fair bit easier.

James

Hello James

Thank you for your feedback.

Your software is an attractive base to build an all sky camera system, since you are supporting Mac and Linux systems such as the RASPI.

The broad range of supported cameras and control for exposure and gain are a big plus.

So far I have not been able to find a complete package that would serve this purpose.

For CCTV cameras with a frame grabber or for standard USB webcams one can use the software "Motion" under Linux.

But the limited camera selection and missing control options rule out astronomical use.

It would be great if the existing oaCapture could integrate the additional functions needed for an all sky cam.

If not possible, a separate application with the same code base for camera support would be nice.

My hardware would look as follows:

- RASPI2 with Raspbian

- Camera: QHY / Point Grey / ZWO ASI camera with wide angle lens

- Installed in a waterproof housing, possibly solar powered

Software requirements:

- Headless, automatic operation: Configuration with text file

- Camera control: Exposure, Gain, Brightness and contrast

- Processing: Stacking and dark subtraction

- Possible web interface for image display / FTP upload to webpage

- Graphic overlay with exact local time and observatory information

- Advanced / Optional: Meteor detection algorithm

best regards

Chris

hi,

i relaise this is an old thread but just installed OACapture on my linux PC, (excellent software) and noticed the icon for OAlive, but when i click it says "could not find programe oalive"

am i doing something wrong here...or is it not working yet..

regards

Nothing immediately springs to mind, but I'm getting very close to releasing v1.6.0 now, so I'll check here and make sure it gets sorted for that.  oalive has stagnated a fair bit of late I have to admit, but my plan is to give it some love for the following release to try to make it more useful.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Nothing immediately springs to mind, but I'm getting very close to releasing v1.6.0 now, so I'll check here and make sure it gets sorted for that.  oalive has stagnated a fair bit of late I have to admit, but my plan is to give it some love for the following release to try to make it more useful.

James

thanks

this is the error i get if that helps

Screenshot_20190221_125504.png

I'm not even sure why it would be trying to do that, but I'm not particularly familiar with KDE.  What distribution are you using?

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I'm not even sure why it would be trying to do that, but I'm not particularly familiar with KDE.  What distribution are you using?

James

Ubuntu 18.04 with KDE plasma desktop, so Kubuntu...really