Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie astrophyle from New Hampshire

Ted Jerome

Hello, Everyone! As an astrophotography newbie, I was excited to see this astro-only forum. I have a million (well, 10^3, anyway!) questions, so you'll see me here frequently. I'm eager to learn.

I'm in my early 60s, and have been making photos since I was 8, off and on. I was lucky enough to have a grandfather who had been an advertising photographer in an earlier career and a published author/photographer after retirement *and* he was quite eager to pass his knowledge of darkroom processing on to me. He did so when I was a teen, and I was *hooked*! Later, I went to an art school college (RISD) and learned much more there, which was energized by the wonderfully-photogenic Providence, Rhode Island. It wasn't until, many years later, that I bought one of the early consumer digital cameras (1 point 3 MPx!) that I was much more excited by photography again. 150,000 photos later, I now use a Fuji X-T1 camera (APS-C sensor) with a set of mostly-Fuji lenses. I live in west-central New Hampshire (USA), in rather light-polluted Lebanon. Fortunately, I can drive 30 minutes of so north to quite dark skies.

Through the years, I've done a number of astrophotos. The earliest I can remember was with a 35mm camera and a cheap 450mm Soligor f/8 lens of the solar eclipse of 1970 that passed over New England. I used a very spotty half-silvered mirror as a solar filter, and got a passable result. In more recent times, I've shot star trails (on film), some mild auroras, and captured a few lunar eclipses. I'm very eager to do more!

I'll see if I can attach my latest effort of the lunar eclipse of this week. It's not the best resolution (It's what I uploaded to Facebook and further crunched by them), but it's all I have handy right here.post-47203-0-18854400-1443719131_thumb.j

Clear skies,

Ted

Hi Ted and welcome to SGL, very nice image of the Moon, by the looks of the location where you took the picture, you could well have had quite a lot of interested guests you wouldn't have seen :eek: enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

Hi Ted and Welcome.  I joined the group a short time ago and have found it to be a nice place to meet likeminded people and ask questions.  There are many here with the experience to offer good advice.  You and I have quite a bit in common it seems - (in our 60's, new to AP, inspiring grandfather etc.)  Your picture of the eclipse is very cool.  I look forward to hearing more from you as you go along.  Enjoy!

Archived