LX200

bikerbaz

Hi. Newbie to this forum so I hope you will be patient. I've just bought an LX200R I have an interest in deep space objects but no so in astrophotography. yet.

Un un packing the scope and inspecting the items I find that one of the crosshairs in the finderscope (meade 8x50) is broken. New finderscope I think, what are your recommendations.

Also, on mounting the scope to the tripod I find that it will still (rock) if pushed gently, the tension knob is tight but not overly so, and the AZ lock still permits the forks to turn if persuaded gently, how locked is locked?

There are 2 allen bolts attaching a plate to either side of the OTA behind the top of each fork that are quite inaccessible, 2 of these allow some movement of the OTA, this may be important, advice please.

The power supply sent by the vendor (12v dc 2.5A) doesn't work, not the end of the world but is this the correct supply for this scope? instructions say 12v dc 5A.

Thank you.

The supplied power supply is 12 volt 2.5amp, the screws should be easily accessible if you rotate the OTA , there is still a small amount of movement when the clutches are locked and if you push it hard enough it will rotate.

I purchased an Antares right angled illuminated finder that fits in the Meade rings as it makes it much easier to see.

One more point, there are stops on the RA axis so you need to rotate it fully east and west then make sure it's at the halfway point between the two then set it to zero, obviously doesn't mention anything about this in the manual :)

Dave

good evening. I Installed the requisite number and type of batteries in the fork legs, connected the handcontroller and auto focuser and switched on. It is necessary to remove the dust cover and fix the prism and eyepiece prior to switching on. the scope will not do somersaults between the fork legs with the eyepiece in situ?

good evening. I Installed the requisite number and type of batteries in the fork legs, connected the handcontroller and auto focuser and switched on. It is necessary to remove the dust cover and fix the prism and eyepiece prior to switching on. the scope will not do somersaults between the fork legs with the eyepiece in situ?

No, but it may just start tracking depending on how it was set up last time it was turned off.

Dave

Hi and welcome. Batteries will not last very long and please don't leave them in situ as they will likely rot. All the scope does when you switch it on is setup routine very slowly and if it does misbehave you can switch it off and look for the problem. Don't tighten the clutch up to tight it does not need it.

Ed

I maybe had the clutch a little tight, I received an error message which said that if I see this message again with new batteries fitted to contact Meade customer Service. It spent quite a few mininutes just rotating AZ with the occasional dec focusser spinning. I must say that the Meade pdf manual is almost useless it's all over the place.

It finally stopped so I turned it off in the almost park position( upside down) ,relased the clutches parked it and put it away. working in daylight will be better.

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

The cross hairs in the Meade finders are very thin and, unless illuminated, I find they dissapear against the dark background of the night sky. I replaced one I had with some 1kg breaking strain fishing line secured with a dab of superglue in place of the stock ones.

If the scope was bought new though I'd ask your supplier for a replacement finder to save having to mess around with it.

Archived