Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader SteelTrack Diamond Focusers

FLO

Our long awaited first delivery of Baader SteelTrack Diamond Focusers has arrived so all three models are available for overnight delivery  B)

In true Baader fashion they feature a number of improvements over the outgoing models but the most noteworthy new feature must surely be their unique 'Diamond form' micro-geared drive system which promises zero backlash, zero cogging and zero flexure. That is quite an achievement! 

Imagine a surface like a fine emery cloth, if you push two of the surfaces together the grits mesh. On a microscopic level thousands of 'teeth' grip each other, like teeth on a rack and pinion. The SteelTrack has a very fine grit (so fine it doesn't feel rough) made from industrial diamonds applied to what would normally be (thinking of a Crayford) a smooth roller bearing, which meshes with a similar textured metal surfaces on the drawtube. The result is remarkable, it provides the smooth action of a Crayford with no backlash and a higher load bearing capacity. I hope that makes sense, it is much easier to see than to explain. 

baader_steeltrack_nt_diamond_2957230_thu  baader_steeltrack_rt_diamond_2957210_thu  baader_steeltrack_sc_diamond_2957220_thu

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to fit a Robofocus motor to these?

We are not a dealer for Robofocus but, looking at their website's 'Installs' page, they don't appear to have an install kit. To be fair the Diamond Steeltracks have only just been launched and Robofocus offer a kit for just about everything else so I guess it is only a matter of time. 

I will be meeting the man from Baader tomorrow so if anyone has a question regarding Baader's Steeltrack Diamond focusers please post it here or PM/email us today. I will then ask him. 

HTH, 
Steve

I have the Baader Steel Track Diamond with the adapter for my Orion Ed 80.

Is it normal for the focuser to swivel round if pushed hard enough?

THe flange that is tightened to fit the adapter to my Orion Ed 80 still lets the focuser rotate when fully screwwed in.

Steve, I've been looking to upgrade the stock focuser on my Tak FSQ106 for a while now, and this new Baader diamond looks the business. Can you please ask the Baader chap whether their new focuser can be used on a Tak FSQ106, whether any special adapters are needed (and if so do they supply these) and finally whether the Baader diamond focuser is compatible with the Tak reducer. 

Many thanks,

Martin

I have the Baader Steel Track Diamond with the adapter for my Orion Ed 80.

Is it normal for the focuser to swivel round if pushed hard enough?

THe flange that is tightened to fit the adapter to my Orion Ed 80 still lets the focuser rotate when fully screwwed in.

That's not normal. Please contact your supplier. 

Steve, I've been looking to upgrade the stock focuser on my Tak FSQ106 for a while now, and this new Baader diamond looks the business. Can you please ask the Baader chap whether their new focuser can be used on a Tak FSQ106, whether any special adapters are needed (and if so do they supply these) and finally whether the Baader diamond focuser is compatible with the Tak reducer. 

We will need the mounting requirements for your telescope Martin (we are not a Takahashi dealer). If you email details we will happily find out for you. 

Steve I have an Orion VX8 Newt and I would like to upgrade the focuser. Could you ask the man from Baader whether it will fit the Orion (UK) 8" scope and whether additional plates/adapters are required.

If Orion(UK) use Skywatcher/Celestron's hole spacing then it will fit. If not please send us measurements. Needless to say if you buy one and find it isn't a good match you can return it within 30-days for a refund. 

I hope our photos below of the Baader Steeltrack Diamond NT focuser are useful. They show details like the 'True Diamond micro-gear' focus mechanism, the larger bearings and matt-black interior and baffling. 

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_1.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_2.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_3.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_5.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_6.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_7.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_8.j

baader_diamond_steeltrack_detail_sgl_9.j

HTH, 

Steve

Hi. I Recently got one of these to upgrade the stock focuser on my skywatcher skyliner 200p. On the Video they use the existing holes to loosely centre the versabase. However my problem is that the screw holes where my old focuser was do not line up with the versabase. Any ideas on how I should go about sorting the problem?

Hi. I Recently got one of these to upgrade the stock focuser on my skywatcher skyliner 200p. On the Video they use the existing holes to loosely centre the versabase. However my problem is that the screw holes where my old focuser was do not line up with the versabase. Any ideas on how I should go about sorting the problem?

Baader currently offer only one Versabase which fits the majority of Synta (Skywatcher/Celestron) Newtonians with apertures 8" or larger. But Synta do occasionally move the goalposts so if your SteelTrack does not line up with your telescope's existing screw-holes you will need to either do some DIY (on the telescope, not the focuser) or return the focuser to your supplier for a refund.

If you choose the latter consider a Moonlite focuser, we find their Universal Installation Kit fits almost anything. 

Will the current SteelDrive unit fit this, or is there a new one in the pipeline too?

The current SteelDrive will not fit the new Baader SteelTrack Diamond but an updated SteelDrive is in the pipeline. We will post details here as soon as we have them :smile:

HTH, 

Steve 

Baader currently offer only one Versabase which fits the majority of Synta (Skywatcher/Celestron) Newtonians with apertures 8" or larger. But Synta do occasionally move the goalposts so if your SteelTrack does not line up with your telescope's existing screw-holes you will need to either do some DIY (on the telescope, not the focuser) or return the focuser to your supplier for a refund.

If you choose the latter consider a Moonlite focuser, we find their Universal Installation Kit fits almost anything. 

Haha trust me to get one that is unusual, guess that is why there is a 5th drill hole where my focuser is. Wanted this one because if I do upgrade to a 12 inch at some point I would not have to but 2 separate installation kits with a moonlight. Thank you for the advice.

Since I last posted we have received this info from Baader Planetarium via Baader-UK (thank-you Adam) :smile:

-------

"All the dimensions of the VersaBase, which ships with the NT-Steeltrack, are in this PDF: http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s35/download/bds-nt-versabase-measurements.pdf

It fit's without problems onto an 8"-Celestron-Newton, for smaller telescopes you can use the included spacers as shown in this GIF: http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s35/bilder/2015/baader-diamond-steeltrack-strip-shims_1000px.gif
Installation is shown in this GIF http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s35/bilder/2015/baader-diamond-steeltrack-nt-mounting-instructions-1000px.gifand on Youtube: http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s35/s35.htm#bds-nt-mounting The spacers give you another 4mm space - it fits very barely onto a Celestron Cometron 114 with 15cm tube diameter, but I wouldn't recommend it. A 5"-Newton should work, and 6" without any problem.
The optional 96 x 96mm flat base is only for mounting the focuser on a flat surface, like a selfmade-telescope. Included are 4 pc leveling screws for adjusting the mechanical axis of the telescope to match with the optical axis." 

Cheers for the extra info. The focuser hole on my telescope looks like an elongated circle. The bolts just fit into the holes in one side but do not fit squarely, so I can't just bolt it in one side, mark the holes then do the same on the other. Hopefully I will be able to get it centred.

Received mine yesterday, and its an awesome focuser.

Silky smooth, no slip at all, on par (if not a bit better) than a moonlite in my opinion.

It surely transforms the ED80 into a rigid astrograph, capable of lifting whatever you need on its back :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived