SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from a noobie in West Lothian

GraemeH

Hello to everyone on SGL.  I've been a regular browser of the forum for a number of years, but only recently joined up.

I first got my scope around 6 years ago, but after setting up only a handful of times life events resulted in all my gear staying packed up warm and dry in the garage until very recently.  After re-learning various aspects of setting up like polar aligning, mount balancing and computer control I decided to take advantage of the clear skies on Saturday evening in what was intended to be a rehearsal for Sunday's lunar eclipse.

As it turned out, the weather on Sunday wasn't kind and I had almost total cloud cover until very late, so I decided against staying up until 4am just on the off chance that the clouds might clear.

I did manage to capture some images on Saturday, and spent last night following some guides from various internet sources on aligning, stacking and processing them, and I wanted to share them here to get some feedback on how I might be able to improve.  I'm actually really happy with my result, but I am also aware that I am a complete novice both in terms of the image capture aspect, and of the post-processing steps

post-46986-0-51370100-1443512843_thumb.j

Raw images were captured on my Canon 350d at prime focus on my Skywatcher Explorer 200P on HEQ5 Pro.

Images were cropped and converted to TIFF in PIPP, then aligned and stacked in AS!2, sharpened using wavelets in Registax 6 and final processing to boost contrast and colour saturation in Photoshop CS5.1.

Clear skies to all,

Graeme

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Graeme, welcome to SGL :)

Check out the Central Scotland Observers Group, google "CSOG"  We are a forum based group who arrange meets to observe and image at a few sites across the Central Belt, one in West Lothian. Once registered, you get access to the meets section, These are usually at short notice if the weather looks good for that evening. 

Cheers,

L.

Greetings GraemeH & welcome to the forum. That's a nice image of the moon & that wee bit of color really makes it interesting. What type scope did you use to capture it? Was it a DSLR or CCD camera?

Welcome aboard the good ship SGL and full speed ahead...  :smiley:

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to welcome me to the forum, and for all your kind comments on my moon image.

Lorne - thanks for the pointer to CSOG, I'll register to check out meets, but I'm not particularly portable right now as I still need mains power for my set up.

Scorpius - the pictures were captured on a DSLR at prime focus on an 8" Newtonian.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived