SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 5033 from the 6th of May with awful skies!

Whippy

Four previous attempts, two bad night and I still haven't got a decent shot of this one :( . This was the target from my last session (NGC 5005) and I wish I should have paid more attention on that night! Tuesday was terrible conditions (LP was almost up to the Zenith!) but I carried on regardless with the plan that I'll do the Luminence one night and the RGB tomorrow and hope for the best. Last night was just as bad but I set up, started to take the Red subs and in 20 mins, it clouded over. Humph :angry: .

So here's how bad conditions can get, this is 100 mins of exposure (1 x10 mins 18x 5 mins) on an Atik 16hr though a WO ZS110, IR cut and IDAS filters. Guided by a ZS66, QHY5 and PHD all on top of an EQ6 Pro.

One of my previous attempts in a half-moon sky resulted in a better image with only about 1hrs' worth of exposure time :shock: .

5789_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

a good go at it Tony , know how you feel , we get clear nights and something up there just aint playing the game , just one download tells me its not worth it, normally my background is smooth as silk after a10 min exposure , but these past few days its like grainy , ok for HA but anything else , forget it , but putting that aside , you have done very well in such conditions

Rog :angry:

C'est la vie Rog as they say, I can't recall seeing the skies this bad ever! I think that's probably about it for me now until late July/early august as we don't get 'astro' darkness after the 18th of May according to my calandar so apart from the odd visual session with some doubles and La Luna it's time to bunker down and get that 'to do' list shortened :angry:. Perhaps if it's still high enough post-equinox, I might give this another go as I reckon this could be quite a spectacular image :(.

tony..

I think that's probably about it for me now until late July/early august as we don't get 'astro' darkness after the 18th of May according to my calandar so apart from the odd visual session with some doubles and La Luna it's time to bunker down and get that 'to do' list shortened :angry:.

tony..

Enough of that defeatist talk, haven't you heard of narrow band filters??!! The Eagle and triffid nebs will soon be poking there noses over the horizon. The Ring and dumbell. The Lagoon neb if you're lucky.

I've had 3 clear nights on the trot. In march I got some brief time on M51 when it was low down smack in the middle of my worst LP and was getting reasonable subs without an LP filter. This week M51 is high up and I'm getting way more sky glow.

The thing I like about summer is that setting up is so relaxed.

Definitely one to come back to Tony, but yes, won't be ideal for another few weeks

Enough of that defeatist talk, haven't you heard of narrow band filters??!! The Eagle and triffid nebs will soon be poking there noses over the horizon. The Ring and dumbell.

I have heard of narrow band filters, just not paid much attention to them! Do you have a link which should be subtitled 'Narrow band imaging for people who haven't paid much attention to it before'? It may well save you having to answer stupid questions :angry:....

Tony..

yea ok Martin , i know narrow band is ok for these particular skies , so that takes galaxies out ,the CLS FILTER JUST WONT WORK WITH THIS CIRRUS CLOUD, and i Cant get due south ,so all those lovely nebs i,m knackered on,

i have to wait now for NGC7000 AND CO and that will be another 2 months i reckon for me , meanwhile tis Lunar and Saturn

Roger Warner ,

covered in cloud ,thin that is and trees to the South

over and out ,

:(:angry::p

Archived