Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Garden Light Shield

bomberbaz

Ok apologies for the pictures from out set. So basically my problem is a streetlamp that bathes half my rear gardfen with its horrible orange light, frequently destroying what little dark adaption I have and also a hotal opposite with awful car park lamps that are a similar nuisance.

My aim is simply to cut this light down to make viewing a little more comfortable and protect my dark adaption.

post-26735-0-52184100-1443442700_thumb.j post-26735-0-08362600-1443442712_thumb.j

The offending light pollution.

So I built for the hotel side a removable light shield. It is some old furniture weather cover, attached to lengths of 3/4" dowel that are slid into the white plastic pipe, that simple, see below

post-26735-0-71318700-1443442838_thumb.jpost-26735-0-86085100-1443442843_thumb.jpost-26735-0-78663100-1443442848_thumb.jpost-26735-0-15641100-1443442856_thumb.j

Next deal with the awful street lamp that you can see from the initial picture is by far the worst offender. For this I made a framed screen from 2x1", attached a securing 2x2" to the wall and then hung screen onto this using hinges. (note use of removable pin hinge to make this a much easier process). Then I can pull this in when not in use to prevent wind ripping it off the wall. Note the token pink aerobics weight for Mike (Faulksey)  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

post-26735-0-41197100-1443443317_thumb.jpost-26735-0-25680100-1443443323_thumb.jpost-26735-0-38919300-1443443327_thumb.jpost-26735-0-43431700-1443443330_thumb.jpost-26735-0-72498400-1443443337_thumb.j

Again refer back to the initial picture and you will note there is a huge difference and I am very pleased indeed about this result. Heaven knows why I waited this long to do something.

Steve

I've not seen hinges with that type of removable bin before.  If I needed to do that I'd probably have gone for rising butt hinges.  They're not always suitable though.  The screening certainly makes a huge difference.

James

I've not seen hinges with that type of removable bin before.  If I needed to do that I'd probably have gone for rising butt hinges.  They're not always suitable though.  The screening certainly makes a huge difference.

James

These people do most everything, click the send me a catalogue button...they do from time to time 25% and 50% off vouchers, spend over x amount.....

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products?parameter=fh_refpath=227c6838-1fd9-49d5-be59-a1e3ed84cd6c%26fh_refview=lister%26fh_reffacet=type%26fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C%7bcatalog01_hinges%7d%2fcategories%3C%7bcatalog01_hinges_door_hinges%7d%2ftype%3E%7bloosepinhinge%7d%26fh_start_index=0

Wow, I thought the LP in my garden was bad!

I've got a neighbour that has a 10 GW (at least) "security" light in their back garden. I've often thought about shooting it out (if I had a gun (which I don't)); The amusing thing is, they turn it off when they go away!!

I do like your temporary screening method, I'll have to rig something similar up (and grow a large bush in the long term).

Simple and effective idea - well done.

Better material would have been the stuff used for black out blinds, there's a guy that sells it by the metre on ebay.

Hopefully the link below will work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackout-lining-material-Flame-retardant-black-fabric-/261096384735?hash=item3cca8ea8df

Yeah I know the material isnt the best but I just grabbed what I had lying around in garage. TBH the setup as it is at present is giving me a reduction in light glare in magnitudes I cannot explain.  

Just to reiterate the aim is not so much to improve seeing condition per se as this is beyond redemption. The bright light glare was killing my eyesight dark adaption leaving me increasingly frustrated and this was what I was looking to protect and to that end it works fine.

However once the cloth fails I shall put on something a little more effective so thanks for the link.

Steve

Or just go to b&q

Order a free catalogue, they may throw in a 25% or 50% discount voucher......i think there good for people that have a high turnover of and get the order up above the next day free delivery, B&Q on the other hand a odd hinge or drawer running, it costs me a fiver in fuel to do a B&Q run....

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/h

That's why I don't go to B&Q unless I'm desperate or already in the area.  It's an hour round-trip for me, so combined with the fuel it generally makes more sense to order from someone reputable who can deliver.

James

That's why I don't go to B&Q unless I'm desperate or already in the area.  It's an hour round-trip for me, so combined with the fuel it generally makes more sense to order from someone reputable who can deliver.

James

I use Ironmongerydirect for a couple of reasons, they have a good spread of hardware, they use DPD for deliveries so that's a e-mail with a one hour delivery window, order on a Sunday get it Monday.......

I've got a sodium streetlamp lighting up my back garden as well, the pole is literally the other side of my fence on a footpath, but unfortunately I've got no handy wall to hang anything on - any shield would have to be freestanding and about 15' high.

It doesn't help that on the other side of the footpath is a school, with large windows, and a hell of a lot of light gets reflected off of that back towards me.

A box that I could (temporarily) lift over the streetlamp head is the only thing I could think of.

(The council have installed a 'shield' on the lamp - which is worse than useless),

Lance

Archived