Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

boxtko

Hello. Newbie Here.

Hi. I'm fairly new to astronomy. I started getting into it about 8 months ago when I picked up a cheap  telescope at a thrift sale.  I knew nothing about telescopes and when I got home I discovered the telescope was missing a few parts so I took it to a local telescope store. There, I picked up some eyepieces and started asking lots of questions about all the different types of telescopes.  When I got home, my first order of business was figuring out how to actually see something....anything... through the eyepiece. lol.  (The telescope and tripod were so flimsy they would move at the slightest vibration.)   Eventually, I got nice views of the moon and I wanted to capture them so I took my cell phone and started my first attempts at afocal astrophotography.  I posted my first ever moon picture to facebook and got amazing feedback from friends.  Over the next 8 months, I wanted to expand my knowledge of the sky, telescopes and photography. I bought a handful of telescopes off craigslist...(looking back I should have just invested the money in the proper equipment, but being a newbie and lacking money..I bought telescopes on ebay that were each just slightly "better" than the last....or at least different. I bought a refractor, Newtonian , an old cassesgrain (with a broken motor), and finally the one I use during most of my sessions these days.. a 6 inch Dobsonian. Over those months, I went from exploring the moon...to Jupiter...to Saturn....and then just in the past couple weeks I finally found M31 and M33 galaxies!   When I first saw Jupiter, I wanted to take a picture  of the planet with its details and its moons and couldn't figure out why I couldn't take a picture with both traits. That's when I learned about stacking, tracking, registrax...etc.   I bought my first DSLR (Nikon 3100), T mount, T adapter, afocal universal adapter...and also a Neximage (1mp) webcam.  (I'm not a fan of the neximage. I should have got the CCD one, but it was too expensive for me.  It took me a few months to finally get a somewhat decent picture of Saturn. One of my goals has been to take a picture of Saturn with ring details.  In the past 2 weeks, not only did I finally find M33 and M31 (which I couldn't find for the longest time... but I also managed to take pics of them (without tracking...still cant afford a tracking mount.)  I also started learning how to use lightroom over the past month.

Sorry for the long into--- lol  basically, Icaught the astronomy bug. I am outside almost every night exploring the skies (usually in my backyard) while others are sleeping. When I'm not outside capturing images, I'm usually reading up on astronomy or astrophotraphy.  Ive been sharing some of my work with friends, but I think its time to start interacting with others who share my passion.  So I just want to introduce myself and say hi.  It's time for me  to start exploring this website. :)

I attached a pic of the moon I took a few days ago. I did something I never did before..I looked at it through a blue filter..and I used lightroom for some pp.post-47098-0-79935400-1443287229.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Boxtko,

You are getting there. As usual we all try to save money and usually end up spending more than we wanted to. There is always that nagging feeling we could do better. :)

It looks like you definitely have caught the Astronomy Bug. Be assured it can only get worse :p

Clear skies,

Derek

Hi Boxtko and welcome to SGL, you will find plenty of friendly help and advice on here, just ask, by placing you inquiry into the appropriate section, enjoy the forum :)

Greetings and welcome aboard, boxtko. Nice to have you. Feel free to ask questions, as stated, in any forums in here to address your issues. We love answering them!

Clear skies,

Dave

Greetings boxtko and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've definitely caught the bug & thankfully for us all - there is no cure. But at least there's ways to alleviate the symptoms which get progessivley more expensive as you've probably discovered through your previous purchases...  :smiley:

Nice pic of the moon btw - really like the effect produced by the blue filter   :icon_salut:  

Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone. I've been really looking foward to tonight's supermoon/eclipse... but it's mostly cloudy here with hardly any breaks.  I've never seen so many clouds before. lol oh well.

And yes, Dana...huge baseball fan. Phillies and O's.

• Like 1