Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light: WO Star71 (IC1396)

Uranium235

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the first light review. I'm not really a pixel and corner guy... more a WOW that is a totally brilliant pic off a first light run, type of guy. Do you prefer a Red Dot Finder (RDF) above lens based finders? For me I'm afraid the RDF is a bit of a waste of time and have lately been using the star finder off the android. I use SkEye what do you think?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Sorry to here about this Rob, just a thought would it be better to bang in a 3-5x barlow lens and rack focus intra & outro to check the diffraction rings are concentric using the old MK1 eyeball. also is it possible the built in flattener could be at fault I wonder if that is adjustable?

Unfortunately I dont think anything is adjustable on these. Normally on a triplet + flattener you have room for adjustment, but if its all in one then you've got what youve got.

Fortunately, lovely auntie FLO have been kind enough to replace it but its going to be a couple of weeks waiting for a new stock. However the 130 (like the eager puppy that it is) will rise to the challenge and keep me going for the meantime.... well, not that im doing any imaging at the moment anyway as ive spent the last two days whacked out of my head on co-codamol (got man-flu still).

Typical... a week of unbroken clear skies, and im stuck indoors feeling like a mobile snot factory!

Thanks for the first light review. I'm not really a pixel and corner guy... more a WOW that is a totally brilliant pic off a first light run, type of guy. Do you prefer a Red Dot Finder (RDF) above lens based finders? For me I'm afraid the RDF is a bit of a waste of time and have lately been using the star finder off the android. I use SkEye what do you think?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I do prefer the baader skysurfer RDF to normal finders - they are light and are less prone to going off target if you knock them. The only downside is if you forget to switch it off (which im ashamed to say i do often!) it canes the battery.

Rob, did you ever post an image that showed the problem? I am really really close to saying 'yes please' to one of these scopes and am now concerned that you have unearthed a problem. Do you think you were just unlucky with the particular scope that you were sent?

Rob, did you ever post an image that showed the problem? I am really really close to saying 'yes please' to one of these scopes and am now concerned that you have unearthed a problem. Do you think you were just unlucky with the particular scope that you were sent?

Took the words out of my mouth.  I've been checking out some of Bruce Bartle's (Meadowlark Ridge Obs.) hi-res zoomable images taken with this scope, and they look faultless to me.  While it's good value, WO is charging a premium for the new design, and it should be 100% right in its core capability.  Also now considering the TS version: looks exactly the same but cheaper (okay, no WO marketing colours).  Btw, while researching all this, I checked out on Flickr your excellent work with the ED80 - good job!

Yep, I do have a few images I used to diagnose the problem. However, mine seems to be an isolated case and the vast majority have all been good - so dont let it put you off.

What im seeing down the cheshire:

post-5513-0-37066400-1443682852_thumb.jp

An actual pic through the cheshire: You can see the offset reflection - which oddly enough matches the off axis halo on the garnet star

post-5513-0-95889300-1443682924.jpg

And the corner/edge in question from an M16 attempt: (and I ruled out my CCD as a cause by using a DSLR)

post-5513-0-55206300-1443683055.jpg

Lastly, the same corner from this IC1396: its just that Im able to cover this kind of stuff up with a few stacking/Ps tricks  ;)

post-5513-0-85114900-1443683359_thumb.jp

Like I said though, dont let it put you off - it hasnt for me and I cant wait until the replacement arrives becuase the corners that were good were very good!

I hope the replacement is good.  These scopes are brilliant but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery.  I have the TS version and mine was replaced.  Excellent service there.  I know PNJ had his WO Star 71 replaced through IK.  On CN there are people having theirs replaced too.  Once you get a good one stick with it as it is cracking scope :-)

Interesting reading, thank you for the advice folks. Perhaps I will push it and drop a line to IK to test the scope before delivery?! (Sorry FLO - stock availability wins out!)

@physicus - thank you!

If youre after the TS version, you might find IK are out of stock too ;)  (even TS are out of stock!)

Theyre probably all coming over on the same shipment (w/c 12th Oct), so its a wait either way.

Interesting reading, thank you for the advice folks. Perhaps I will push it and drop a line to IK to test the scope before delivery?! (Sorry FLO - stock availability wins out!)

@physicus - thank you!

Got mine from IKI (WO version) no problems with it, BTW Ian is away at the IAS 'till next week.

Dave

I hope the replacement is good.  These scopes are brilliant but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery.  I have the TS version and mine was replaced.  Excellent service there.  I know PNJ had his WO Star 71 replaced through IK.  On CN there are people having theirs replaced too.  Once you get a good one stick with it as it is cracking scope :-)

Ahh, so im not the only one then :)  I suppose thats one of the plus points for a newt, because if its out of whack then everything is user adjustable. But with a frac, I'd be terrified of trying to make any adjustments to the lens cell(s).

That's a great first light Rob - As you say really contrasty and pin sharp. I like that a lot - Seems like this scope is going to be a winner for many people and at an affordable price :) Good news all round - What is there not to like? :D

Yes I think there is limited adjustment and I also believe the cells may be glued in place too, so best to do a star test on these scopes first and just get replaced if no good.  Other than that, its a great scope.

If youre after the TS version, you might find IK are out of stock too ;)  (even TS are out of stock!)

Theyre probably all coming over on the same shipment (w/c 12th Oct), so its a wait either way.

Got mine from IKI (WO version) no problems with it, BTW Ian is away at the IAS 'till next week.

Dave

Yes, I tried to call earlier today only to hear his message that he is away at IAS until next week. I'm almost tempted to go to the event, with credit card at the ready!

Archived