Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NexImage 5 Woes

IanPozz

Hi, I recently bought a Celestron NexStar 4 and NexImage 5 imager off eBay. I spent plenty of time getting to know the scope and installing software for image capture and manipulation. Tonight I observed the moon which looked perfectly focused in the telescope but when I switch to the NexImage 5 the video that's sent to my laptop is completely different, it's almost like I'm zoomed in on a very small area of the moon and there's no way for me to improve the image.

I can't help but think I'm making an obvious mistake somewhere but I have no idea what it is. I've tried pretty much every video resolution, refocussing the telescope and tinkering with every option I can see on iCap, the image/video capture software, but I'm still struggling to see anything clearly.

Any idea where I may be going wrong?

Many thanks

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ian

I'm afraid it's the combination of the long focal length of your scope combined with the small camera sensor with tiny 2.2 micron pixels giving you a small fov. Have a look on here and put in the scope and camera data.

Louise

Edit: it should give you good images of Venus, Jupiter and Saturn! :)

It is normal to see a smaller FOV on your laptop from a CCD than what you see through an eyepiece and focusing becomes much more critical.

It might also be over exposed, try a faster shutter speed and lower or NO gain... 1/200th is a good start.  On a histogram make sure that the brightest level is not above about 80%.

Try to increase the contrast of your preview by using the contrast slider or drop Gamma to 0.5 (50%) and increase your preview to 200-250%. The exaggerated contrast will help you to hit that focus sweet spot and you will be ready to capture video sequences for stacking.

If the image isn't clear that's probably down to being out of focus.  It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of focusing with a camera.  The focal point won't be the same as for your eyepieces.

With a focal length of 1325mm the image of the Moon will be just under 12.5mm in diameter at the focal plane.  According to Celestron the sensor in the Neximage 5 is only 5.7mm x 4.28mm, so you will see only quite a small fraction of the Moon at a time.

If you have a DSLR that would actually be a better choice for getting a full disc image of the Moon.  If you want to use the Neximage for that then you'd need to make a mosaic from a sequence of overlapping images.  It's not hard, just takes a bit of time to get the hang of.

James

Archived