Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Music while gazing

KY Cygni

While silence is good ; I have on a few occasions while lying on my "sunlounger" ( moonlounger ??) while watching the universe through my binos, cranked up the MP3 player and put on a bit of Brian Eno (especially Ascent / Under stars/ Deep blue Day . Some Mike Oldfield is also quite decent - Music of the Spheres for example... anything without words really.  The right track can really be quite fulfilling .... just maybe don't  whistle along ...apparently sunlounger/binos/woollyhat/midnight/music/whistling isn't something the neighbours "understand"  - :rolleyes:    ....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never listen to music when doing astronomy - usually cos I'm either with the missus (who has to be listened to) or out with the lads group observing and chatting about targets 'n' stuff. But I can understand folks on their own in obsys wanting some sounds going on in the background. :)

Yeah on occasion do listen to music, spice girls for myself, or a bit of boyzone/westlife [emoji6] (only joking) daft punk is good to listen to. But generally anything goes for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't thought about listening to music but maybe that would help distract me from the raccoon running past my leg! Since I'm new to observing and being in the yard at night, I believe they have been having family gatherings in my garden for some time and I am now intruding  :icon_eek:

I think i'll try some tunes soon.

I haven't thought about listening to music but maybe that would help distract me from the raccoon running past my leg! Since I'm new to observing and being in the yard at night, I believe they have been having family gatherings in my garden for some time and I am now intruding  :icon_eek:

Maybe this would be quite a good choice....Peekaboo :shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKiteF3TtO4

For lunar observing - Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Debussey's Clair De Lune.  Mike Oldfield's "Crises" and "Taurus II" sometimes make an appearance on the iPod.

All other times - Silence.  Except the local wildlife.  Even though I live in a town, I am literally "the last house" with open fields to the rear.  So it's owls hooting / foxes barking most nights!

Rocky Racoon by the Beatles?

Maybe this would be quite a good choice....Peekaboo :shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKiteF3TtO4

Haha, very cute video. After watching that, I got hooked on watching raccoon videos! I get the feeling the raccoons labelled "cute" and "friendly" on youtube are not of the same breed as the ones I've encountered  :icon_scratch:  Although maybe all they need is some good music  :smiley:

Haha, very cute video. After watching that, I got hooked on watching raccoon videos! I get the feeling the raccoons labelled "cute" and "friendly" on youtube are not of the same breed as the ones I've encountered  :icon_scratch:  Although maybe all they need is some good music  :smiley:

LoL I have seen a couple of documentaries about racoons that are living under peoples houses and they were portrayed to be quite a nuisance :laugh: and very destructive.

I guess with some choice words and a catchy melody we could write a song about how cute & cuddly great white sharks are  :grin: Peekaboo

LoL I have seen a couple of documentaries about racoons that are living under peoples houses and they were portrayed to be quite a nuisance :laugh: and very destructive.

I guess with some choice words and a catchy melody we could write a song about how cute & cuddly great white sharks are  :grin: Peekaboo

Hah! Maybe the Discovery channel could assist with that song during shark week  :grin: Raccoons can definitely be pretty tough, though. My dog got in a fight with one about a year ago and she lost a couple teeth  :eek: But I suppose on their end, they talk about my dog and us humans as being quite the nuisance!

I've yet to get around to listening to music while observing, although I've often wondered what I'd listen to. I kind of like the quietness too much. Well, inbetween the Hoot Owls, catfights, foxes fighting cats, bats, badgers, badgers fighting cats, hedgehogs, frogs and more cats ...

I like the silence and occasional owl-hoots of the night. But ever since I was a kid, I seem to have ended up observing in or near fields containing horses, where the nocturnal reverie tends to be punctuated regularly by loud and impressively long f*rts (from the horses, you understand). So I also play music, to mask these nocturnal emissions and restore some of the ambience.

Vangelis / Jarre / Alan Parsons, and more recently Ulrich Schnaus.

I like the silence and occasional owl-hoots of the night. But ever since I was a kid, I seem to have ended up observing in or near fields containing horses, where the nocturnal reverie tends to be punctuated regularly by loud and impressively long f*rts (from the horses, you understand). So I also play music, to mask these nocturnal emissions and restore some of the ambience.

Vangelis / Jarre / Alan Parsons, and more recently Ulrich Schnaus.

Wow, I never even considered FHS (Flatulent Equine Syndrome) and I live near stables.  :shocked:

Farty Horses?

Music while gazing? Haven't tried it – yet.

Listening to something, while doing something annoys me, makes me want to turn it (the music) off, for good.

Perhaps listening to music while stargazing would be less irritating when lying down and enjoying the sky as a whole instead of focusing on something – it would ease the mind a little bit.

The music of choice would be labelled as 'enchanting', 'lullaby' or 'cherishing moments' (by my experience, of course). Sort of like ambient music. Voice, if any, should also blend in the surroundings so to avoid the annoyance. 

Things to do when doing so:

1) Listen Enjoy the music.

2) Enjoy the sky as a whole, as a comfy blanket covering you. Better if there is a real blanket too.

3) *Optional – Enjoy the ambient coldness if liked, or enjoy some hot cocoa.

4) Drift into pleasant unconsciousness a.k.a. sleep, feeling impervious to what's going to happen, because there's the heavens taking care if you, with love & affection. (Aww!)

Good night.

As for Floyd, the "dark side of the moon" isn't that visible from my obsy, so I prefer "set the controls of the heart of the sun" - "get off my cloud" is more likely hereabouts. Distro-Astro has a music/video player, but I prefer to use "Kodi" and watch Suskind's lectures on physics - honest, no dodgy sashimi sites at all... (although I do have a small BBQ flue in the warm room for the JP food).

P

Archived