SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Music while gazing

KY Cygni

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to go to a dark spot that's sits on the east coast of the isle of sheppey so the sounds of the waves and constant cackles of the Oyster catchers is very soothing. However I do sometimes like to listen to a bit of classical whilst sitting back with a coffee and a custard cream. I would highly recommend the purely choral version of Samuel Barbers Adagio for strings if you can find it. It's beautiful and just feels so right whilst gazing at the great spectacle.

If it does take your fancy and you having trouble finding a choral version let me know and I'll Dropbox it or something.

While at remote imaging sites, I like to listen to Tangerine Dream - Force majure / Tangram / White Eagle albums also Plasitkman - Consumed album & some 1980 - 1984 Ultravox , if there is a fox or badger sniffing about while guiding , Napalm death - Peel sessions album scares them off :)

Dave.

I tend to go to a dark spot that's sits on the east coast of the isle of sheppey so the sounds of the waves and constant cackles of the Oyster catchers is very soothing. However I do sometimes like to listen to a bit of classical whilst sitting back with a coffee and a custard cream. I would highly recommend the purely choral version of Samuel Barbers Adagio for strings if you can find it. It's beautiful and just feels so right whilst gazing at the great spectacle.

If it does take your fancy and you having trouble finding a choral version let me know and I'll Dropbox it or something.

Sounds good would like to check that out and those natural sounds must be highly appealing. I like to listen to music, usually radio 3 (classical or Jazz) on arrival and whilst setting up, then particularly whilst driving home. No need for anything whilst observing, natural sounds are fine, though last weekend I could hear the distant thud of periodic explosions drifting across from the Military zone in the Northumberland National Park. 

When everything is set up and backyardEOS is chugging away and I'm sitting in my warm room (shed) I sometimes put Classic FM on my radio I have out there. But outside I prefer the sounds of the night.

Could I suggest Mozart's Einer Kleiner Nachtmusik for the playlist?

Sounds good would like to check that out and those natural sounds must be highly appealing. I like to listen to music, usually radio 3 (classical or Jazz) on arrival and whilst setting up, then particularly whilst driving home. No need for anything whilst observing, natural sounds are fine, though last weekend I could hear the distant thud of periodic explosions drifting across from the Military zone in the Northumberland National Park. 

We can hear the army shelling up in mid Borders too sometimes ,  it must be a nightmare for mickeyscope (mike) trying to image with the new OTA with all the vibrations , heheh :D :D

"Starry, starry night..."

Funnily enough, the other night I set up my intervalometer for the first time, and after staring at M31 through the scope for quite awhile I realised I couldn't change targets and there was nothing to do but look through my sad little binos (10 x20).

Planning to have R4 or R4 extra as company tonight.

If

I listen to music whilst observing ,have done it on occaisions ,it's best as a background noise on the threshold of hearing ,i.e. subtle .

Meddle by floyd and obsured by clouds  ,  timewind  by Klaus Schulze ,tangerine dream  some jean michell -jarre tracks . Telstar by the tornados .The fireball xl5 theme .

And any delia derbishire track......or any  otherworldly incidental music by the radiophonic workshop.

I like the quite most of the time we live next to a farm so have plenty of night sounds, the hoot of an Owl is just the best sound ever

but sometimes (non Owl season mostly) some tunes are whats needed so Early spacey Floyd or Hawkwind particularly Hall of the Mountain Grill or any atmospheric space rock and classical of course.

Tangerine Drream is a great idea though will try that

Shaun, this is one for you I bet!!

I like the silence - or the call of an owl, or the nerve-tingling rustle of something in the dark ...

LoL Gordon,

I like listening to music and I also like the peace & tranquillity depending on how the mood takes it.

I have also been known to play the guitar whilst solar observing as this tends to be more suited to a hands free style :grin: and I really don't want to wake everybody in the area up during the night. The neighbours don't seem to mind and often join in adding some lyrics.

As it happens I think I will go and enjoy a session now, as it is such a beautiful sunny day. I also have some wine hanging around  :laugh:

Just about any synthesizer music does the trick, I've been hooked since the 1970's, and my first synth album was Snowflakes are Dancing by Isao Tomita.  Others include: -

John Serrie - the best stargazing music

Tangerine Dream, Ricochet & Optical Race are my favourites.

Our north of the border members should check out Voyager by Mike Oldfield with its distinct Scottish flavour.  He also did Music of the Spheres an attempt at a modern day planets suite, and that is very good too. Ommadawn & Tubular Bells 3 are also worth a mention.

John Barry - The Beyondness of Things & Eternal Echoes, the first one is just the best chill out album.

Any Alan Parsons Project album

Vangelis, Odyssey & the 1492 soundtrack.

Sound of Silence Simon & Garfunkel, my first ever album was Bridge over Troubled Water, bought with a second-hand record player.

Clear Skies

Fondofchips.

Archived