Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello Everyone!

SDV

Hello!

My name is Sergey, I live in Latvia, Riga, Baltic States.
I've been in amateur astronomy for some years, starting with Bresser 8" Newtonian / EQ5 (sold), then continue to 12" Orion SkyQuest Truss Tube Dobsonian, and then I jump in ATM 16" project, which I finished nearly two months ago.
I attached 2 photos, one ATM 16", second - my 12" Orion, which I plan to rebuild soon.
I know, I have funny and jockey English, sorry for that  :embarassed: .
I hope, i do not harm anyone here with my grammar mistakes...
Good Luck to everyone and have a nice day!

post-37820-0-45446900-1443127517_thumb.j

post-37820-0-27117500-1443128151.jpg

Thank You!

I will write some words about my 16" ATM project soon.

what looks an area with some very dark skies

Yes, we have some so-so dark places. But, actually, climate is not very good - mist and haze rise very often and clear sky is rare event in Latvia.

But we are happy with sky what we have.

Sergey

Hello Sergey and welcome to SGL... mate, it looks like you have a awesome and dark observing site.

Thank You for warm words! :)
Actually, in Latvia there are no places with complete darkness, but we try to find best of what we can. Situation is a bit better, then in Western Europe, but our very flat relief do not allow reach better transparency (no high hills or mountains), comparable difference is not so good, as map shows.
I attached light pollution map, usually we try to observe in grey to dark grey zone, but of course, some observings was done in very light polluted places.
Second file - funny screenshot from sat24.com made exactly before observing, when the first attached photo with pictured 16" was done (first post here).
That night was with very unusual sky for Latvia (pink dot - my observing point, approximately). Although, some little haze was in air that night, transparency was not perfect, but close to. Milky Way was seen almost until horizon, may be just last 10-15 degrees before horizon loss some contrast.
I ordered SQM device, it's coming, soon I will know light pollution/transparency more precise.
Very long text for me... Many mistakes... OMG.. :)

post-37820-0-27579900-1443295542.jpg

post-37820-0-31809500-1443295585.jpg

Archived