Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with flats

dont think orientation matters for flats just focus and aperture. I use notpad at full screen with a piece of paper over it on end of scope/lens. its the best way that work for me

Camera orientation is a key factor in taking flats.

Flats are taken to determine and hence cancel out the non-linearities in the optical train, such as vignetting, dust bunnies and other nasties.

The camera orientation and focus must be the same as for taking the subs for them to be effective.

How do I know this? Just look at this image where the camera orientation changed between the subs and the flats which I took the following day! ;)

post-33415-0-37939000-1443130790_thumb.j

Ah my mistake.

You are correct.

I do bring the scope indoors and set it on my table infront of the laptop but i dont move anything. I leave the camera position and focus the same.

So the orientation of the optics is important but not the orientation of thewhole assembly of the optical setup.

Thus the orientation of the optics does matter. Sorry for that confusion, it was right in my head lol

Ah my mistake.

You are correct.

I do bring the scope indoors and set it on my table infront of the laptop but i dont move anything. I leave the camera position and focus the same.

So the orientation of the optics is important but not the orientation of thewhole assembly of the optical setup.

Thus the orientation of the optics does matter. Sorry for that confusion, it was right in my head lol

I see what you did there

I leave the scope and camera attached when I pack up and take them the next day (I bought a flat panel from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DNPCZVG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpagewhich could have been cheaper if I didn't have an 8" reflector).  I either take them the next day or next night).

Cheers

Ross

Archived