Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice needed with Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

acharris77

Hi all I need some advice. I bought a 2" LP filter from FLO about a month ago. It was the skywatcher one, but the box or filter don't say Skywatcher anywhere and it just came in a black box and protective case. I am using the filter attached on a 2" Nosepiece on my 1000D DSLR but to be honest the filter does not do anything. The orange glow is the same with or without and I think if anything the filter is actually reducing the detail getting to the DSLR camera.

Any help is appreciated as I know they don't remove all light pollution but I did expect to have some of the orange glow removed from images.  Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I know certain type of street lights cant be filtered. When I used my 1.25 Baader Neodyium filter that made a difference on my Webcam, but this one seems to have a blue / grey tint but don't seem to do much lol. Thanks again.

Yes, it's clearly reducing the LP, and its not uncommon that LP filters cause the image to take on a different hue, in this case blue.

You get what you pay for. Very narrow band Ha filters are many hundreds of pounds, IDAS and CLS ones (2") are a couple of hundred pounds, i suspect this filter was under a hundred pounds...

James

Yeah, don't expect any filter to get rid of lp if you point directly at the source! Even a narrowband filter will let some direct streetlight through! I have to try and manage a nearby street light using a lp filter and a long light/dew shield on the scope. I still get unwanted gradients on my images :(

Louise

I use the astronomik cls ccd clip in light pollution filter and it does an amazing job. Without it I could do about 30 second subs before my photos were washed out. With it I can do 5 minute subs or longer perfectly fine without any worry of my subs being washed out.

It does cost around £130 though but I'd say it's well worth it

Archived