SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR Advice

Big Chris

Hi,

This may have been asked before, so apologies in advance if it has.

I have a rapidly approaching 50th Birthday :-/ and I have been asked to consider a DSLR as a potential gift.

Clearly I am going to want to put it to some astrophotography use, but I would also like (for now anyway!) to use it unmodded for day to day photography.

Would something like a Canon 1100D fit the bill, or does anyone have any better recommendations?

Many Thanks

Chris

It all depends on your price range. The 1100d is a nice camera but if you want it for astrophotography I'd recommend going to www.cheapastrophography.Co.UK

Juan sells astro modded dslr's that can also be used for day today photography too.

I got a modded 600D off him and have never had an issue with it. He also kept me up to date with my order and answered all my questions very quickly.

It's worth a look and I know many people here have bought from him

I had a 1100D and replaced it with a 600D Modded, now the modified bit is a option what isn't is the LCD screen on the back being a swivel type. this make is so easy to use, so what every DSLR you go for, make sure it has a swivel LCD screen, there  really nice to use.....

The modded 600D came from CheapAstro, well worth using ........

If you plan on using a camera for daytime use then dont get a modded one even in standard trim there are lots of astro targets as well as lunar to go for. I too would opt for a camera with a flip out screen like the 600/650/700D if you can.

Alan

I would differ on that. I use a 450D, which has live view, and BYE but have often wished I had a flip out screen too. Sometimes the scope and camera get themselves into positions you can't easily see the screen for setting up.

For night use I connect my 1100d to my 7 inch android tablet. A flip screen for day time would however have been useful.

I did not get an astro moded one as I did not want to faff about when it came to day time use which the camera gets a lot more off.

I would narrow it down to 2 or 3 Canon models then go and hand hold in a shop to see what fits well for you.

If you plan on using a camera for daytime use then dont get a modded one even in standard trim there are lots of astro targets as well as lunar to go for. I too would opt for a camera with a flip out screen like the 600/650/700D if you can.

Alan

CheapAstro modded my 600D and supplied instructions on how to set the RGB sliders via the menu to take daylight pictures, takes a few seconds and this is a picture from the modded 600D.....

garden17-4.jpg

Wow! A big thanks to everyone for all this advice. Sounds like the flip screen is very useful, maybe I will purchase unmodded and try that, and then I also have the option to get cheapastro to mod it if I get seriously into the astrophotography.

Well it looks like my budget may be around £300 to £350, so I'm guessing I'm possibly looking at a Canon 1200d or a Nikon D3300. I know the general rule is Canon for astrophotography, but would either of these be suitable for dual use (it would be nice to be able to hook up to a laptop and use that)?

I chose Canon because I can connect to it using my Android tablet as our laptop died. Gives me full control and a large screen.

Also chosen because of magic lantern potential.

Also because of the ready support on here.

At the time a very good price also greatly influenced.

But if you can go and try some to hold in the hand see how they feel.

Dont be put off getting a used low shutter count camera a 650/700/60D can be had for that sort of money and would be far better than the 1200D http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/?keyword=&curr_min_price=&curr_max_price=&min_price=0&max_price=3500&out_of_stock=&view_all=&filter=price+ASC

Alan

Archived