sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

hi all

i recently bought a mac book, and being me i forgot to actually check what software was compatible for it, software for stacking and planet imaging etc.

it seems all the software i used on the old laptop such as deep sky stacker, sharp cap registax etc are all window based so can't use them on the mac.

does anyone know of any software that i can use on the mac, or suggest a small laptop that i can get just for imaging and processing my pictures etc

thanks

chris 

I would like to know any free stacking app for Mac.

I am using a 6 year old PC laptop. N can't do much of stacking on my iMac.

I have Photoshop but don't know how to align and stack images.

What I am thinking of doing the calibrate n register in DSS and make master clean tiffs and then tinkering in PS as layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For stacking there is Lynkeos, though I think that could do with a bit of work to bring it up-to-date, and there is also Siril.  Siril will build on OSX and I have built a binary that should install on all 64-bit releases of OSX, but it's a bit ugly.  I'll be having another attempt at that when the next release is available.

With reference to the OP's question about capture, I see you appear to have an SPC900.  I'm afraid oaCapture doesn't currently support the SPC900 on anything but Linux (because Linux supports it in the kernel).  It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I could write a user-space driver for the camera on OSX, but thus far there have always been other parts of the application that need working on and there don't seem to be that many people wanting to use the SPC900 on a Mac :)

James

I use AS!2 in wine for stacking planetary stuff, works pretty well.

If wine ain't your thing you could either dual boot to Windows or install a virtual Windows.

Capture programs tend not to work in wine as they rely on the host OS to have drivers for hardware and if you had those you wouldn't need to use wine anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For stacking there is Lynkeos, though I think that could do with a bit of work to bring it up-to-date, and there is also Siril.  Siril will build on OSX and I have built a binary that should install on all 64-bit releases of OSX, but it's a bit ugly.  I'll be having another attempt at that when the next release is available.

With reference to the OP's question about capture, I see you appear to have an SPC900.  I'm afraid oaCapture doesn't currently support the SPC900 on anything but Linux (because Linux supports it in the kernel).  It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I could write a user-space driver for the camera on OSX, but thus far there have always been other parts of the application that need working on and there don't seem to be that many people wanting to use the SPC900 on a Mac :)

James

I've had a ZWO Imaging camera now, just not updated what equipment I'm using on here haha my bad 

Ah, well, in that case all the ZWO cameras are supported by oaCapture on OSX.  There can be some niggly issues with the USB2 ASI120 models but I don't believe they're insurmountable.

James

Ah, well, in that case all the ZWO cameras are supported by oaCapture on OSX.  There can be some niggly issues with the USB2 ASI120 models but I don't believe they're insurmountable.

James

now I've actually had problems with the usb2 ports on the old laptop, wouldn't work with them at all but if as you say the software works on mac i shouldn't have a problem 

There do seem to be a few USB problems that crop up with high frame rate cameras :(

I've been working on a driver for the Neximage cameras recently so I can support them in oaCapture.  I have a Neximage Burst C that works perfectly on my Linux desktop using either the USB2 or USB3 ports (it's a USB2 camera).  It also works fine on my Mac Mini on both Snow Leopard and Yosemite.  When I try to use it on my 2013 13" Macbook however, it appears to hang the entire USB subsystem immediately it starts transmitting frames.  Other cameras I've tested work fine though.  I thought it must be a hardware issue, but it occurred to me to try booting the Macbook into Linux from a USB stick and run oaCapture on that.  It worked fine.  So it looks like there is some sort of problem in OSX.  Reading up a bit suggests that it could just be a problem with the specific 2013 13" model that I have.  I'm hoping that perhaps they may have fixed the problem in El Capitan.  But this is Apple.  They probably think a 2013 machine is obsolete by now :)

James

• 2 weeks later...

I've just upgraded to OS X 10.11 El Capitan and my Wineskin wrapper of Deep Sky Stacker 3.3.2 ceased to work.
Nevertheless, wrapping the .exe again with updated engine/wrapper versions on Wineskin gave me a new perfectly working version of DSS.
Guess it should be of general interest.

I'd not realised El Capitan was available yet.  I'll have to see if it can be downloaded to install locally somehow.  I don't fancy attempting to install it on more than one machine over an internet connection that often can't manage 2Mb/s :(

James